Today I’m bringing you the ultimate savoury recipe, just in time for Christmas!
These savoury Vegan Pesto, Sundried Tomato & Mozarella Rolls are a great twist on a classic roll. They are fluffy, packed with flavours – and perfect for Christmas feasting!
My other half, Amir, said they are one of his favourite things I’ve made and that they tasted like pizza rolls. In fact, if you wanted to, you could easily sub out pesto for marinara sauce!
They also happen to be fluffy, pillowy and ever so addictive. I’ll be making these for Christmas Day evening, and no doubt I’ll devour a whole batch in one go…
Anyway, if you’re looking for a fun and delicious savoury roll recipe for Christmas that isn’t too tricky to make, then this is the one!
Vegan Pesto, Mozarella & Sundried Tomato Rolls
- Creates 10 rolls
- (Inspired by The Recipe Critic’s quick cinnamon roll cooking method!)
- For the dough –
- 3 cups spelt flour (plus upto 1/2 cup more)
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 7g dried instant yeast
- 1 tsp pink salt
- 3/4 cup plant milk of choice (I used bottled coconut milk)
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp coconut yoghurt
- For the filling –
- 150g vegan pesto (can be shop-bought or homemade)
- 250g jar sundried tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
- 140g vegan mozzarella, grated (I used Bute Islands)
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- Preheat your oven to 200C, then grease a circular baking dish or even frying pan.
- Mix together the flour, coconut sugar, yeast and salt, then set aside. In a pan, gently heat the butter and milk until the butter has just melted. Stir smooth, then add in the yoghurt and mix into the flour mixture.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a work surface, then knead your dough until smooth and elastic (7-10 minutes), adding a touch more flour or milk if needed (just add it a tablespoon at a time) – it shouldn’t be sticky, but you don’t want a dry dough, either. Place in a lightly-oiled bowl, then allow to rest for twenty minutes. After ten minutes of resting, turn OFF your oven.
- Roll your dough out into a long rectangle, then spread over the pesto. Scatter over the sundried tomatoes, mozarella and fresh basil.
- Starting at the end nearest to you, roll the dough up tightly. Use a sharp knife to cut into 12 evenly-sized pieces, then arrange in your pre-prepared pan. Cover with baking paper.
- Place in the pre-heated (but switched off!) oven and allow to warm and rise for 25-30 minutes. Remove the baking paper, then turn your oven back on to 180C. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until browned and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for five minutes.
- Enjoy fresh and warm!