When I was growing up, Feast Ice Creams were my favourite of them all.
For those of you who haven’t met them before, they were a chocolate ice cream, with a solid chocolate centre, enrobed in dark chocolate and biscuit. They were utterly addictive and utterly delicious.
As you probably have noticed, I love making healthier, vegan ice creams – vegan Magnums, vegan ice lollies. You name it, it’s one of my favourite things to make!
So, here is my child-hood favourite, veganised: Vegan Feast Ice Creams.
These are a much healthier version of the childhood classic (for starters, they have chopped nuts and cacao nibs in their chocolate coating, rather than biscuit). However, they’re every bit as tempting and every bit as indulgent.
The ice cream is creamy, delicious and addictive on its own. Made using cashews and coconut cream in place of dairy, it is far healthier and lighter than traditional Feasts.
I’ve also used minimal sweetener in these ice creams – but you can sweeten however you like!
Finally, to enhance that delicious chocolatey richness, I added a shot of espresso and pinches of salt. All in all, the ultimate healthy indulgence!
The perfect vegan, Paleo recipe for a hot summer’s day,
Vegan Feast Ice Creams
- Creates 10 mini ice creams –
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in water 4-6 hours and drained
- 1 cup coconut cream (NOT creamed coconut)
- 80g dark chocolate, melted (I used Cocoa Amore)
- 3 tbsp espresso coffee (optional – I used London Nootropics CBD coffee)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or raw cane sugar
- 2-3 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Large pinch salt
- For the chocolate centre –
- 80g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- For the chocolate coating –
- 150g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Small handful finely chopped hazelnuts
- Small handful cacao nibs (I used Cocoa Amore)
- Prepare ice cream moulds by inserting lolly sticks. I recommend using these silicone moulds.
- Start by making your ice cream. Place the cashews, coconut cream, melted dark chocolate, vanilla, sweetener, espresso – if using – salt and cacao powder into a blender and blitz until completely smooth.
- Spoon some of the mixture into your pre-prepared moulds until they are half full (you need room for the chocolate layer and more ice cream). Set the remaining ice cream aside and place the ice creams in the freezer to firm up for 30 minutes.
- Next, gently melt your dark chocolate for the filling in a bain marie with the coconut oil. Stir smooth. Spoon onto your set ice creams (around 1.5 tbsp of chocolate per mini ice cream), then place back in the freezer for 10 minutes, or until the chocolate has hardened.
- Spoon your remaining ice cream mixture on top of the set chocolate. Now, place in the freezer to set overnight.
- Once ready to eat, melt your chocolate coating in a bain marie with the coconut oil, Stir smooth, then remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Stir through the chopped nuts and cacao nibs. Dunk your ice creams into the melted chocolate, then place on baking paper to set (this will happen almost instantly). Leave ice creams out of the freezer for 15 minutes or so before eating.