Happy long weekend, everyone!
I don’t know about you, but I am SO ready for a long weekend. Even if we can’t go anywhere.
The home schooling has left me utterly exhausted, and I now feel like I’m running on empty. So, you can bet that my weekend is going to be all about resting, relaxing and eating good food!
Starting with this vegan Raspberry & Almond French Toast – the perfect brunch recipe for a bank holiday weekend.
This vegan French Toast recipe is easy to make, delicious and much much healthier than traditional French toasts. In place of eggs, I used tofu and milk, as well as a touch of ground flax. I also used raspberry chia jam and slatherings of Meridian Almond Butter (this recipe is in collab with them).
I hope you enjoy it – and enjoy your long weekend, too!
Raspberry & Almond French Toast
- Serves 2 –
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup firm tofu, mashed
- 2 tbsp Meridian almond butter
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1.5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Drop almond extract (optional)
- 4-5 slices thick, crusty bread (preferably a day or two old)
- To serve –
- Almond butter, chia jam (see recipe below), a handful slivered almonds, coconut yoghurt, maple syrup, fresh berries
- For the chia jam – 250g frozen raspberries, 1-2 tbsp maple syrup (to taste), 2.5 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Start by making your chia jam at least 20 minutes before you want to prepare your French toast. Gently heat the berries in a pan, along with 1 tablespoon of water, until the berries begin to break down. Stir smooth. Remove from the heat, then stir through remaining ingredients and set aside to thicken and cool (around 20 minutes). Place in an airtight container and store in the fridge until ready to use.
- To make your French toast, blend together the milk, tofu, almond butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla and almond extract until smooth. Pour into a large mixing bowl and stir through the flax. Set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
- Dip each slice of bread into the mixture, allowing 30 seconds for it to soak in. Dip on each side of the bread, if needed. Repeat with each slice.
- Heat a griddle and lightly brush with coconut oil. Cook your French toast on each side for around 3 minutes, or until lightly golden. Alternatively, use a grill or even a frying pan. Repeat with all remaining bread.
- Spread each slice with almond butter and raspberry jam and stack. Then top with coconut yoghurt, fresh berries, slivered almonds and large drizzles of maple syrup. Enjoy warm.