As a child, one of my favourite treats was apple and blackberry crumble. Whenever my mum cooked a Sunday roast, my brother and I would always argue over what pudding we’d want her to make us – he would opt for Spotted Dick (a funny old British classic), while I’d always request crumble, or Lemon Meringue.
Ever since, I’ve loved anything crumble-based and it unlocks that delicious childhood nostalgia.
Anyway, last week I discovered a load of brambles in our garden, which were bursting with plump and juicy blackberries. I honestly had no idea that they were there, so you can imagine how happy I was when I found them!
The boys and I then spent a sunny afternoon picking them from the branches (safe to say we all had purple mouths by the end of it!), and I stashed the rest away in the fridge ready to make these Oaty Blackberry Crumble Bars.
These bars are bursting with flavour and are so juicy and delicious. The sharpness and sweetness of the blackberries works perfectly with the sweet and crunchy crumble, while the earthy, nutty hazelnuts some delicious texture. If you’re allergic to nuts, don’t worry – you can still enjoy these! You can simply sub hazelnuts for tigernut flour, which has a delicious, natural sweetness.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy these as much as I did – I’ve been eating for breakfast, lunch and snacks! Also, please feel free to chop and change the ingredients! I’ve already tested with raspberries, and they are just as delicious!
Oaty Blackberry Crumble Bars
- For the base –
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp gluten-free oats, blended to a flour
- 2 cups ground hazelnuts (sub for tigernut flour for nut-free!)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (I recommend Naturli), melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Up to 1/4 cup dairy-free milk (I used coconut)
- For the blackberry filling –
- 4 cups blackberries
- 4-5 tbsp coconut sugar (to taste)
- 3 tbsp arrowroot powder
- Juice half lemon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- For the crumble topping –
- 3/4 cup oats
- 3/4 cup ground hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 3.5 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2.5 tbsp vegan butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Make your crumble base by stirring or blending together the ingredients until they start to clump together, adding the milk one tablespoon at a time until you get a dough-like texture (you don’t want the mixture to be sticky, but it should come together easily). Press into a lined brownie tin, then bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the crust is lightly golden. Set aside.
- In the meantime, make your filling by stirring all ingredients together into a bowl. Set aside.
- Next, make your crumble topping by rubbing the ingredients together with your fingers – add more butter, if needed. They should stick together once ready. Set aside.
- To finish your crumble, spread the blackberry jam over the top of the base, then sprinkle over the crumble topping. Place back in the oven to bake for a further 15 minutes, or until the blackberries are bubbling and the crumble golden brown. Allow to cool, then cut into bars – storing in the fridge allows for easier cutting!