While you’d never guess it from my page, 80% of my diet tends to be low-sugar.
I have a condition called PCOS, which means I don’t tolerate sugar all that well – including sugars found in fruit! This is difficult for someone with a naturally sweet tooth – and it can also be hard day-to-day, too, because it means I have to limit certain carbs wherever I can.
I have always LOVED smoothies in the morning, or in the afternoon for a pick-me-up, so I decided to create a PCOS-friendly, low-sugar vegan Chocolate Smoothie!
While this smoothie may not be the best for those who like things a little sweeter, it IS ideal for a low-carb, Keto option – and perfect if you don’t have a sweet tooth! It also contains no bananas (a rarity in the smoothie world!), using hormone-balancing frozen cauliflower for added nutrition.
Cauliflowers are a great option to toss into smoothies as they add a creamy texture and you can’t taste them (I promise!). Plus, as a member of the brassica family, cauliflower helps to support the body in flushing out and detoxifying excess hormones. This makes it the ideal smoothie addition for those who are suffering with hormonal imbalances.
As for the other ingredients:
- Cacao provides a great source of antioxidants
- Almond butter is a healthy source of fat (crucial for happy hormones!), skin-loving vitamin E and plant protein
- Orange zest is a source of immune-boosting vitamin C, and may also help to fire up the metabolism. Studies have also shown that the scent of citrus may help to curb stress and anxiety!
I hope you enjoy this lower-carb breakfast smoothie!
Low-Carb Chocolate Smoothies
- Serves 2
- 1 1/2-2 cups bottled coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower rice
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest one orange
- 1 scoop protein powder of choice (optional)
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- Optional add-ins: whipped coconut cream to top, sweetener of choice (this can obviously affect sugar intake, so can be Keto-friendly sugar, or dates for higher sugar options – I omit this entirely)
- Place all ingredients into a high-powered blender and blitz until smooth and creamy. Add more milk, if desired, until you get your desired texture. Taste and add sweetener or more cacao, if needed. Drink and enjoy!