If you need a simple recipe to make for lunches and stash in the fridge ahead of time, then this Vegan Cashew Cream Cheese may well be the one…
It is incredibly creamy, full of flavour – and delicious on toast! It’s also simple to make, versatile and can even make a great replacement for hummus, too.
It uses just a handful of ingredients – and, thanks to the addition of coconut yoghurt or probiotics – is fermented and so great for your gut, too!
I love to slather my cashew cream cheese on toast with heirloom tomatoes, but you can also make it sweet instead (simply take out some of the Nutritional Yeast and add raspberries or other berries!).
I like to make a batch on a Sunday afternoon, then enjoy all week!
I hope you like it too,
Vegan Cashew Cream Cheese
- Makes 1 large batch –
- 2 cups cashews, soaked in filtered water 4-6 hours and drained
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 3-4 tbsp Nutritional Yeast (to taste)
- 2 tbsp fermented coconut yoghurt (alternatively, the contents of two probiotic capsules)
- 1.5-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or more, to taste – can also use lemon juice)
- Salt and pepper, to taste (I added about 1 tsp sea salt)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional – can also add fresh chives)
- Place the drained cashews in a powerful blender along with 1/2 cup water, Nutritional Yeast, coconut yoghurt, apple cider vinegar and chilli flakes. Blend until completely smooth, adding more water as you go if needed until you achieve desired texture. Season to taste, adding more Nutritional Yeast and ACV if desired.
- Store in an airtight jar in the fridge until ready to use.