While Halloween may not yet have been and gone, it’s never too early (for me at least!) to get onboard the gingerbread train…
Not just for the festive season, gingerbread is warming, comforting and utterly delicious. It’s perfect as the temperature starts to plummet and we all look towards food for comfort.
Plus, spices such as ginger are packed with health benefits and can help to strengthen our immune system!
This vegan Gingerbread Chocolate Sweet Potato Fudge is the perfect way to dip your toes into festive recipes. It’s utterly indulgent, creamy and rich – but with lots of goodness to keep you healthy.
It’s also simple to make and takes minimal effort. Just be warned: it IS addictive – and they won’t last you for long!
Spiced Chocolate Gingerbread Fudge
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed (you want one cup cooked sweet potato)
- 170g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp smooth almond butter
- 5 tbsp plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- Pinch salt to taste
- 1-2 tbsp powdered sweetener to taste (I used Sukrin brown sugar replacement)
- For the gingerbread flavourings:
- 1 tsp Molasses
- 1/2-1 tsp ground cinnamon (to taste – I used Dhow Foods organic cinnamon)
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp ground ginger (I used Dhow organic ginger)
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 180C. Place the sweet potatoes on a lined tray and bake until softened and cooked through (30-40 minutes, depending on size). Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil in a Bain marie, stirring smooth. Pour into a blender, along with one cup of cooked sweet potato (remove the skin) , the almond butter and the plant milk. Blend until completely combined and smooth. Add in the remaining ingredients – the spices, the Molasses, the sweetener, cacao and salt – and blend once more to combine. Adjust sweetness and spices to taste.
- Spoon into a lined loaf tin, then place in the fridge overnight. Cut into squares and serve!