A few months back, my three-year-old was going through a little…errr…phase where he was adamant he wanted sweets. And he wanted sweets, right NOW.
I’ve found that no matter how hard you try to teach a kid about health, about fuelling their body properly, sometime or other, they’re always going to try to hold you ransom over Haribo. Of course, everything in moderation and all that – I LOVE my Haribo, too (guilty pleasure).
However, in between one of the epic toddler meltdowns (mums, you’ll know what I mean), discovered that my son loves medjool dates. Hurrah! A healthier, sweet-toothed alternative, just for him.
Because of this, I decided to whip up these delicious Buckini Crisp Chocolate Bars. Full of texture and flavour thanks to my new love, buckinis, these beautiful chocolate bars are rich, delicious and oh-so-chocolatey.
The centre is wonderfully and gooey thanks to the date / cacao mix, yet the little buckinis add a wonderful crunch, while still keeping things gluten-free, raw and vegan (buckinis are activated and dehydrated buckwheat groats, FYI).
I then freezed these babies and coated them in liquid magic – a sweet, amazing raw chocolate, which I added a smidge of vegan protein too, just because.
I hope you enjoy these, guys!
Vegan Buckini Crisp Chocolate Bars
- 10 medjool dates, pitted and soaked in warm water for 10 minutes if tough
- 3 tbsp Lucy Bee coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp cacao
- 1/2 cup Living Earth buckinis
- Handful cacao nibs
- For the chocolate coating –
- 1/4 cup Lucy Bee coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp Nutriseed cacao butter
- 1 tbsp Nutriseed cacao paste
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Sukrin icing sugar
- 1/3 cup Lucy Bee cacao
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder
- Pinch salt
- Start by blitzing together the dates and coconut oil to form a smooth paste. Add in the cacao protein and cacao and blend to combine. Stir in the cacao nibs and buckinis, then press into small chocolate bar moulds and place in the freezer to set.
- In the meantime, gently melt together the coconut oil, cacao butter, cacao paste. Stir in the remaining chocolate ingredients and whisk smooth.
- Dunk each bar into the melted chocolate, then place on baking paper to set. Sprinkle over buckinis to decorate. Enjoy!