I don’t know about you, but I often find that breakfast is the trickiest meal of the day.
My mornings are usually manic, a whirlwind of coffee, rushing around after the boys, making snacks, firing off emails, and juggling baby on the hip.
Come 11am and, despite my best intentions, I will often find I have forgotten to eat. By which time, I’m ready to chew my own arm off. For this reason, I’ve started creating myself some easy, ready-to-go breakfasts. Chia puddings, green smoothies, overnight oats…you get the idea!
However, sometimes, just sometimes, I want something to simply grab and go. And that’s where these Turmeric Granola Bars come in.
While they are slightly higher in sugar than I would normally like, they’re fantastic for a little treat, or even a snack mid-morning. They taste utterly delicious, and are wonderful for hungry, greedy little toddlers and boys, too!
As with most granola bars, they are easy to adapt and mix up according to whatever you have in your cupboards and pantry. However, these babies are vegan, gluten-free and also nut-free, so suitable for most diets.
Turmeric may also sound odd for a granola bar, but it works wonderfully, and offers a much-needed earthiness to the otherwise sweet bars. Of course, it also offers the perfect anti-inflammatory boost and, as you know, turmeric is packed with health benefits.
If you’re feeling lazy, though, you might want to give the recipe for my no-bake granola bars a go. And, if you’re feeling extra decadent (and you’re not vegan!), try switching up the coconut oil for some butter.
If you’re grain-free, then I am currently working on a grain-free granola bar recipe, so keep those eyes peeled!
Turmeric Granola Bars
- Serves 10
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp coconut oil OR butter
- 2 cups oats
- 1-2 tsp turmeric
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2.5 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1/2 cup tigernuts for nut-free or nuts of choice, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mixed seeds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Line a baking tray and place the oats, seeds and tigernuts in the oven for five minutes, stirring occasionally, to toast. Set aside to cool.
- Stir the oats and tigernuts / seeds with the turmeric and pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Very gently melt together the coconut oil, brown rice syrup and coconut sugar. Stir until smooth, then add in the vanilla. Pour into the oat mixture, stirring well to combine. Mix in the remaining ingredients (the raisins and the dark chocolate chips), then place into a lined brownie tin and bake for 20 – 30 minutes, or until lightly golden and crisp. Leave to cool, then cut into bars and enjoy.