More often than not, my days are manic. I spend much of the morning cleaning up after the breakfast hurricane (fellow parents, you’ll know what I mean), answering emails, hitting last-minute deadlines and rushing around after my three young boys, who are constantly pawing at my legs, saying: “I’m still hungry. What can I eat?”
As you can imagine, food can often get forgotten about. All too often, 3pm will roll around, and I’ll suddenly realise I haven’t eaten lunch, or that I’ve not drunk enough water. As a mum, I often forget myself.
Whenever I get the chance to, I like to whip up batches of energy bites on a Sunday afternoon. Not only do they taste great, but they’re handy to have lying around so that I can just grab and go. The sight of them also reminds me to take time out and look after me!
I also find that energy bites are wonderful when travelling, and are even perfect for hungry toddlers too. They’re also simple to adapt, so you can have a play and chuck in what’s lurking about in the back of your cupboard.
What are your favourite healthy snacks?
Super Speedy Peanut Butter Energy Bites
- Makes 12
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter (or other nut or seed butter)
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup ground flax
- 1 scoop protein powder of choice (I use a vanilla vegan one)
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1.5 tbsp chia seeds
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Gently melt together the peanut butter and brown rice syrup and stir smooth. Mix in the vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, stir together all dry ingredients. Pour in the peanut butter mix and stir (or use your hands!) to combine. Roll into balls, then place in the fridge to firm up. Store in airtight containers and enjoy!