While I love cooking, I always look to meals that are fast and simple to prepare.
In between juggling kids and work, there’s often little time (and, if I’m honest, little inclination!!) to spend ages slaving over the oven.
With all that in mind, you can probably see why pesto and pasta are my go-to dinners.
I love that you can simply toss handfuls of fresh, healthy ingredients into a blender, pop some pasta on a hob, and have a delicious meal in around ten minutes. And, really, pesto pasta is one of the tastiest foods around!
This Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto has a little twist, and uses skin-loving almonds in place of pine nuts, while the basil gets ditched in favour of fresh, flavoursome mint. And, of course, there’s the plump, juicy, delicious sun-dried tomatoes. YUM.
While the ingredients may sound a little strange, trust me – they work! In fact, mint and sun-dried tomatoes are two of my all-time favourite ingredients, and a match made in heaven.
This is the ultimate lighter, more summery pesto dish and packs in so many delicious, fresh flavours.
I’ve said it many times before, but I am a HUGE fan of Rizopia gluten-free pastas. Made using just organic brown rice and water, it’s utterly delicious and tastes EXACTLY like ordinary pasta (trust me on that one), yet you don’t suffer with bloating or any of the other symptoms many people often get with pasta dishes.
Of course, you don’t have to serve it with pasta. You could use courgetti (sorry, but I’m always going to be loyal to my carbs!), or serve on top of your favourite pizza base, toasts, or whatever else you fancy
Anyway, I hope you enjoy this fast, easy meal. Another one to come with the toddler Royal Seal of Approval!
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta
- Serves 4
- 400 – 500g gluten-free pasta (I LOVE Rizopia)
- For the pesto –
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes (a 280g jar)
- 1/2 cup olive oil OR 1/2 cup reserved oil from the jar of tomatoes
- Two handfuls fresh mint
- One handful fresh parsley
- One large handful almonds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3.5 tbsp grated Parmesan or 2-3 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Finely chopped fresh mint, to serve, and grated Parmesan and cubes of Feta and crispy Pancetta (obviously omit if vegan!!)
- Start by cooking your pasta according to packet instructions. Drain well, reserving 2 tbsp of the pasta cooking water, and set aside.
- As your pasta is cooking, make your pesto. Blend the almonds until they start to break down, then add the remaining ingredients and blitz smooth, or until you reach the consistency you desired, seasoning to taste. Add the pasta cooking water and blend once more.
- Stir the pesto into the cooked pasta, then toss through the mint and Feta, if using. Serve in bowls and eat immediately.