Strawberry season is one of my favourite times of year.
For me, there’s nothing better than wandering through fields in the heat of the summer sun and picking plump, juicy strawberries from the bushes.
Of course, I always end up eating my body weight in berries, but that’s another story…
Anyway, to kick off the start of Wimbledon, I teamed up with my friends at Meridian to create this gorgeous Strawberries & Cream Tart.
Made with a raw, vegan base using Meridian’s almond butter and filled with a light, fluffy coconut cream, this is the perfect summer recipe – light, delicious and full of seasonal flavours and ingredients!
It also happens to be pretty fool-proof and simple to make (I promise that no one can get it wrong!), but looks beautiful thanks to those fresh, juicy berries.
Anyway, this one is for all of my fellow strawberry lovers! I hope you enjoy it too,
Strawberries & Cream Tart
- Makes one tart –
- For the base:
- 2 cups ground nuts (I used a mixture of macadamia and almond)
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- Pinch salt
- 4 tbsp almond butter (I used Meridian)
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp liquid sweetener
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- For the coconut cream filling –
- 2 x 400g tins full-fat coconut milk, chilled in the fridge overnight
- 3 tbsp maple syrup, or more to taste
- 1-2 tsp vanilla paste (to taste)
- To top and serve –
- 500g strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 tbsp maple syrup, to drizzle
- Start by making your coconut cream. Scoop out the “solid” cream from each tin, reserving the water to use in smoothies or juices. Using electric mixers, beat the cream with the maple syrup and vanilla, adding more or less to taste, until smooth and fluffy. Place in the fridge to thicken for a few hours.
- Now, make your base. Gently melt together the coconut oil and almond butter, then stir until smooth. Whisk in the liquid sweetener, then set aside.
- Stir together the dry ingredients for your base, then fold in the wet mixture and stir until combined. Spoon the mixture into a loose-bottomed tart tin (I used a 9inch tin), pressing the mixture down so that it is compact and working it up the sides of the tin.
- Place the tart base into the fridge to firm up for at least a few hours, then spoon over the coconut cream, top with strawberries and 1 tbsp drizzle of maple syrup and serve!