When I was younger, strawberry creams were my favourite chocolate. They were always the chocolate I dove for first in tins of Quality Streets or Milk Trays, and I savoured every moment. I would melt them on the roof of my mouth, enjoying that delicious sweet berry combined with the creamy chocolate.
Anyway, I had lots of strawberry cashew cream leftover from making vegan cheesecakes last week, so I decided to put it to good use by attempting to recreate my old favourite.
The result? These delicious Strawberry Cream Chocolates! If you’re in need of some Valentine’s Day inspiration, then this is one for all you lovers! Or single ladies / guys – you need spoiling too!
They combine a sweet and creamy strawberry filling, which is enrobed in sumptuous dark chocolate. In other words, it’s straight up heaven!
The ingredients, though, are simple, wholesome and vegan-friendly! I thickened the cashew cream with a touch of desiccated coconut to prevent too much oozing. But, if you like your chocolate to ooze – and why not!? – or you want to keep the cashew cream smooth, then go for it!
The chocolate itself comes with two options. You can either melt your favourite dark chocolate with a touch of coconut oil, or make your own from cacao butter, coconut oil and cacao.
Both taste sublime – it just depends on how much of an effort you want to go to!
What were your favourite chocolates when you were younger?
Vegan Strawberry Cream Chocolate Bars
- Makes One Large Bar
- 100g good-quality dark chocolate and 1.5 tbsp coconut oil (I recommend Maza) OR make your own by melting together: 3/4 cup cacao butter, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp cacao and a pinch of salt
- For the strawberry cream filling –
- One portion strawberry cashew cream (click here for the recipe) mixed with 2 tbsp desiccated coconut to thicken (I used Coconut Merchant) – the coconut is optional but prevents the filling from spilling out.
- Start by making your chocolate, if using homemade, by melting together the coconut oil and cacao butter in a bain marie -gently does it, slowly and surely is best when it comes to chocolate! Remove from the heat and stir in the cacao and salt until smooth and add maple syrup, if desired.
- If using shop-bought chocolate, finely chop the chocolate, then melt in a bain marie very slowly (this helps to keep the shine), stirring until melted and smooth.
- Pour half of your chocolate – leave the remaining half on top of its bain marie, with the heat turned off, to keep it liquid – into the base of a silicone mould (I used this one), leaving plenty of room for the filling to go on top, tilting the mould to allow the mixture to cover the sides, too. Set aside to firm completely.
- In the meantime, make your strawberry cashew cream by following the method, then spoon over the set chocolate, leaving a little room above to coat in more chocolate.
- Pour the remaining chocolate over the cashew cream, spreading to cover the entire chocolate bar.
- Leave to set completely in the fridge, then remove from the mould and enjoy!