When you’re a mum of three boys, chances are you’ll get eaten out of house and home.
Most of my mornings consist of me battling with ravenous kids, and I spend much of my time feeding the boys ever more food to the constant tune of: “But I’m STILL hungry.”
Apples, bananas, rice cakes, toast, peanut butter…they literally vanish into thin air!
Anyway, suffice to say, I make energy balls a LOT in my house. A LOT. These chocolatey, Nutella-like Hazelnut & Raisin Energy Balls are the new favourite, and are my take on Deliciously Ella’s dreamy ready-made snacks.
Made with very few ingredients – all of them store cupboard ingredients, hurrah! – they’re cheap, simple and utterly delicious.
I adore hazelnuts and cacao together as they’re just so reminiscent of that childhood favourite, Nutella. They really can do no wrong. Even with no sugar or substitute, the combination of hazelnut and cacao is one from the gods!
Of course, if you’re not a Nutella lover (why not?!), then these energy balls will work with other nuts, too.
You can also mix it up in other ways – add more protein, omit the protein altogether, use dates instead of raisins, or try a combination of maple syrup and coconut oil. For me, that’s the beauty of energy balls: there are so many things you can do with them!
Anyway, for now, this is our new favourite energy ball recipe.
For now 😉
Hazelnut Raisin Energy Balls
- Makes 12-15 balls
- 2 cups roasted hazelnuts
- 3/4 -1 cup raisins
- 2 tbsp Lucy Bee cacao
- 1 – 2 tbsp chocolate vegan protein of choice (I use Rejuvenated Protein Smoothie) OR sub for more cacao
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Pinch salt
- 2 tsp freshly-brewed coffee (optional, but recommended)
- To top: chopped roasted hazelnuts, cacao or chocolate sprinkles
- Add your hazelnuts to the blender and blitz until they form a finely-ground powder. Add in the remaining ingredients and blend until the mixture sticks together. Add in more raisins, if you need the mixture to stick a bit more, or if you like things sweeter.
- Shape into balls, rolling in your choice of topping, then place in the fridge to firm up a little. Enjoy immediately, or store in an airtight container until ready to eat.