Incase you’re feeling in need of some festive cheese, I have the perfect recipe for you…!
These vegan Reindeer Chocolate Cupcakes (I made them small batch so we didn’t eat too many, but feel free to double up the recipe!) are the perfect fun, festive Christmas cake!
They’re simple to make, involve minimal fuss – and kids can decorate them, too! (Mine did and had the best time)
They are also (of course) vegan, refined sugar free and can also be made gluten-free with your favourite GF flour blend! Just add in a raising agent if you’re doing this.
Happy Christmas baking!
Small Batch Rudolph Chocolate Cupcakes
- Creates 4 cupcakes
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted (I use Naturli)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup dairy-free milk (I used Nooj and made the milk from scratch)
- 1/4 cup coconut yoghurt (I used Coconut Collaborative)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the dry ingredients –
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour (I used Cotswold Flour)
- Large pinch salt
- For the ganache topping –
- 50g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp dairy-free cream
- To decorate:
- Gingerbread circles for the muzzles (I used this recipe – or you can use chocolate buttons for ease!), pretzels for the antlers, edible eyes – make sure you get vegan ones as most have egg in (if you can’t find vegan eyes, you can make your own!) – and redcurrant or dried cranberry for the nose
- Get your toppings ready and make the gingerbread muzzles (if using gingerbread – use chocolate buttons if low on time!) according to instructions to give them time to cool. Set everything aside.
- Preheat oven to 17oC, then line a muffin tray with 4 cake liners.
- Whisk together the dairy-free milk with the coconut yoghurt and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a mixer or blender, whisk the melted butter with the coconut sugar for a few minutes, until frothy. Add in the cacao powder, along with the milk / coconut yoghurt mixture, then blend for a further 30 seconds.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Fold in the wet mixture until just combined. Pour into the prepared cake cases, then place in the oven to bake for 21-24 minutes, or until cooked through. Allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, make your vegan ganache. Gently together the dairy-free cream with the chocolate on a low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then spoon over your cupcakes (if your cupcakes have raised into peaks, use a serrated knife to cut off the tops so they are ‘flat’), setting aside 1 tbsp of ganache to decorate.
- While the chocolate is still melted, top with your noses, eyes and pretzel antlers. Add a small amount of the remaining ganache to the muzzles, then gently press the redcurrant or cranberry nose on top. Allow the ganache to firm up, then enjoy. Best served on the day of baking.