One of the recipes I make most weeks is my Simple Cashew and Basil Pesto.
Fast, fresh and healthy, it’s a great ingredient to make in bulk at the start of the week. I then use it for courgetti at lunches, simple pasta dishes (with my beloved Rizopia pasta), and even on top of my Socca pizza with parma ham and slatherings of mozarella.
While this pesto isn’t all that innovative or original, I’ve been asked so many times to share my recipe. So, here it is – dollop it into your dishes with delight and enjoy!
Simple Cashew and Basil Pesto With Courgetti
- 1 large handful basil
- 1 large handful cashew nuts
- Small handful spinach leaves (optional)
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast (or 1/4 cup Parmesan for non-vegans)
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to season
- For the courgetti –
- 1 courgette, peeled and spiralised
- Blitz everything together in a high-speed processor until combined and texture you desire (I like mine a little chunky still). If you need more oil, add it in! Store in airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
- Heat a touch of coconut oil in a frying pan until melted. Toss through your courgetti, sprinkling over a little seasoning and a squeeze of lemon, if desired. Cook gently, then stir in a few tbsp. of pesto and heat through. Plate up immediately and enjoy!