Recently, I’ve been trying to blog more every day recipes. The kind of recipes that I literally use every single day, yet never seem to get round to writing up.
I think it’s because the foods you eat as a family – the porridges, sandwiches etc – just don’t seem that glamorous. And yet, they’re the ones that are so delicious, we always fall back on them, and they stand the test of time.
One of the recipes I use most days in the summer for the boys is this one for Simple Bircher Muesli.
Bircher Muesli, a Swiss breakfast classic, is essentially the first ever overnight oats. Yes, they are pretty much one and the same!
Made by mixing together fruit (usually grated apple), seeds, nuts, oats and milk, and soaking them overnight, it is the perfect and healthy breakfast for busy lives. Especially for mamas who seem to rush around every morning like their head is going to explode…!
This Bircher Muesli is, of course, dairy-free and vegan. However, you are welcome to mix it up however you like!
The beauty in this recipe is that it is a simple, every day basic and crying out to be adapted! Add different spices and flavourings, use different juices or milks, top with whatever you find in the fridge…you name it!
What are your go-to breakfasts for busy mornings?
Simple Bircher Muesli With Berries
- Serves 2 –
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut yoghurt
- 3/4 cup cashew milk
- 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed apple juice (or more milk)
- One large apple, grated
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Handful raisins
- Handful walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tsp maple syrup (optional – I omit)
- Fresh berries and nut butter, to top
- Before going to bed, mix all ingredients – apart from the toppings – together in a large bowl. Cover and place in the fridge overnight.
- Remove from the fridge in the morning and add more milk, if desired (it depends on how you like it – I like mine a little runnier!). Spoon into bowls and top with fresh berries and nut butter. Eat immediately.