When Easter is coming up and you’re a self-confessed chocoholic, what’s a girl to do…?
Well, roll up your sleeves and celebrate with anything chocolate-flavoured, actually!
I promise I’ll come up with some non-chocolate recipes for you soon. But, for now, I’m happily taking any excuse to indulge and running, running, running with it!
Anyway, for my latest chocolatey creation, I whipped up these simple Raw Rocky Road Squares.
Since I had plenty of cacao butter lurking in my cupboard, and some leftover marshmallows from baking with the boys – plus a few very eager helpers to hand! (school holidays) – I knew that they’d be perfect. After all, who can resist the lure of a freshly-cut slice of rocky road…?
Anyone who’s tried and loved classic Rocky Roads (and how couldn’t you adore them?) will enjoy these, which is my healthier spin on one of my kid’s favourite treats. Yet the beauty of these isn’t just in the taste. You see, they are so fast and easy to make that they can be made in minutes – and, in fact, are perfect for creating with toddlers in the kitchen!
Of course, sometimes we want to indulge even faster, so I’ve written down a non-raw version for you, too! Made with dark chocolate – I recommend buying the best quality that you can afford – as well as butter or coconut oil and your choice of sweetener, they make this simple treat even simpler and easier.
As with any rocky road, though, the beauty of these slices lies in the fillings!
I grabbed whatever I had to hand and, happily, it worked beautifully! Sweet raspberries to cut through the bitter chocolate, marshmallows (because how could you ever say no!?), pistachios and hazelnuts for extra crrrrrunch, raisins and homemade biscuits.
Of course, if you haven’t got those to hand, don’t dash out to buy them- use up what you have! Perhaps some other nuts and seeds, cranberries, dried fruit…anything you have will work, really.
Anyway, once you have your ingredients, all you need to do is melt, stir, set – that’s the hardest part, finding the patience to wait! – then cut into slices and DEVOUR. What could be easier?
What are you making for Easter?
Enjoy your celebrating!
Raw Rocky Road Squares
- Serves 2-4 –
- For the raw version:
- 1/2 cup cacao butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp cacao
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Pinch salt
- Alternatively, melt together 200g finely chopped dark chocolate with 3 tbsp coconut honey, honey or brown rice syrup and 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 4 tbsp vegan mini marshmallows
- 4 tbsp raisins
- 3 tbsp pistachios, chopped
- Handful fresh raspberries, halved
- 3 tbsp hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 cup biscuits of choice, chopped (I used homemade)
- Line a loaf tin (for chunky bites) or brownie tin (for smaller bites) with baking paper, then set aside. Gently melt together the coconut oil and cacao butter in a bain marie. Whisk in the maple syrup smooth, then stir in the cacao, vanilla and salt until lump-free. Taste and adjust cacao / sweetness accordingly.
- Alternatively, if you are making the non-raw version, gently melt together your chocolate, butter and sweetener and stir together until smooth.
- Toss the remaining ingredients into a large bowl, then pour over the chocolate mix. Stir to combine, then spoon into your prepared tin and place in the fridge to set, ideally overnight.
- Once ready to eat, remove from the fridge and cut into squares. Enjoy immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge for a week!