Nutella may well be one of my most extreme vices.
When I was pregnant with my third child, Ezra, I would eat it by the jarful, not stopping even when I felt sick.
While my restraint is now a lot better (well, a little!), I still get serious Nutella cravings at least once a week.
When those cravings strike, it helps to have a stash of healthier Nutella spread on stand-by (I LOVE to make my own). Or perhaps a tub of my raw Nutella Brownies. Or, maybe, just maybe, one of these Raw and vegan Nutella Doughnuts.
Yeah…let’s indulge ourselves, shall we?
These share all those beautiful flavours of Nutella, but without any of the refined sugar and processed ingredients. Happily, hazelnuts are full of goodness – they’re great for the skin and high in folate and B vitamins – while cacao is one of nature’s most delicious superfoods. And my favourite anti-oxidant!
The only problem? These doughnuts are so moreish that one will rarely suffice!
Raw Nutella Doughnuts
- 2 cups hazelnut meal
- 2 cups almond flour
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2-3 tbsp Loving Earth chocolate hazelnut spread (or make your own Nutella)
- 1 tbsp coconut syrup (I used Coconut Merchant)
- 1 tbsp Coconut Merchant Coco Amor Spread, or use coconut oil
- ½ cup Lucy Bee cacao
- Pinch salt
- For the raw chocolate frosting –
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup cacao
- Pinch salt
- 1 – 2 tbsp Loving Earth chocolate hazelnut spread
- ¼ cup sweetener of choice (I used maple syrup and coconut syrup combined)
- Blend together the doughnut ingredients until they stick together, adding more sweetener if desired. If the mixture is a little dry, add a splash of melted coconut oil, Too wet, and more hazelnut or almond meal! Spoon into a silicone doughnut mould and place in the freezer to set for 4 – 6 hours.
- Once ready to eat, whisk together your coconut oil and cacao. Stir in the salt, hazelnut spread and sweetener, blending smooth. Remove doughnuts from the moulds and spoon over the frosting. Scatter over chopped hazelnuts to decorate and store in the fridge.