I know, I know. I’m all about the chocolate lately, aren’t I? Would you even believe me if I said that I prefer fruity flavours…?
No, I didn’t think so!
However, I don’t know whether it’s the time of year, or the fact that the weather has slipped back into frosty, gloomy drizzle, but I am most definitely craving chocolate right now.
To get me through, I’ve been whipping up lots of raw chocolate. Either in silicone moulds (preferably heart-shaped, just because it’s nearly Valentine’s day!), or in bark form, like this.
Anyway, it made me realise that, although I make chocolate like this on a regular basis, I’ve never really shared a recipe for basic, raw vegan chocolate.
So, voila! Here it is – my go-to recipe, which you can adapt to anything you fancy.
It really couldn’t be easier, and creates minimal mess and washing up, too. Happily for you mums, this is also toddler-tried and tested, and the boys love it! Suffice to say that we go through a whole load of cacao butte in this house…
Anyway, this recipe is incredibly easy to adapt.
Since I had a bagful of delicious Nom popcorn looking at me, I thought I’d scatter some of that over mine – and, oh my! However, you can add whatever you fancy. Peanut butter, chopped nuts, raisins, dried fruit. The world really is your chocolate-flavoured oyster!
What toppings would you pick?
Anyway, happy making and eating! And a BIG Happy Valentine’s Day to all my lovely, beautiful followers!
Raw Chocolate Bark
- 1/2 cup cacao butter
- 1.5 – 2 tbsp maple syrup (to taste)
- 3 tbsp Lucy Bee cacao
- 1 tbsp vegan chocolate protein (I love Rejuvenated pea protein) OR use more cacao if you don’t have any protein
- 4 tbsp Lucy Bee coconut oil, melted
- 1.5 tsp coconut milk powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- Pinch salt
- Choice of toppings (I used a mixture of Nom Popcorn – simply salted and salted maple, but you could also top with nuts, swirls of peanut butter or whatever you fancy!)
- Line a loaf tin or a brownie tray with baking paper. Gently melt your cacao butter in a bain marie, stirring often. Once it has almost all melted, remove from the heat and stir until it is completely smooth.
- Place in a blender with the remaining ingredients (apart from your toppings) and blend until completely smooth.
- Pour into the lined tray, then scatter over your toppings. Place in the fridge to set, then cut into shards and enjoy!