If you’re looking for ways to celebrate the last of those beautiful blood oranges you have sitting in your fruit bowl, then what better than a raw brownie recipe?
And, since blood orange season is (sadly) almost over, here is the second citrus recipe in a row!
For all my fellow blood orange lovers – and my chocoholics – this one is a dream! Combining two of my all-time favourite flavours (orange and chocolate), these brownies are the perfect treat to enjoy this time of year.
Of course, if blood orange season is over, then you can still make these Raw Blood Orange Chocolate Brownies using normal oranges. It’s just that blood oranges are so much more vibrant in flavour and colour for me – they are always worth making the most of!
As most of you probably know, I cannot resist chocolate. Chocolate cookies, brownies, bars…whatever the creation, I will always give in to the lure and temptation of chocolate.
These brownies are about as healthy and as simple as a chocolate treat can get. Plus, anything no-bake is always a winner in my book – less washing up, less prep, less waiting for your treat to cool!
They are created using simple, minimal ingredients that most of you will probably already have to hand in your store cupboard. Hurrah! And, really, they follow a pretty basic raw brownie recipe.
Although most raw brownies are created using dates as the ingredient to sweeten and bind, I mixed it up a little here and added in some raisins. Raisins are a great source of plant-based iron (heme iron) and, happily, iron is more easily absorbed when combined with vitamin C, like in these brownies. Hurrah!
Meanwhile, the brownies are topped with a creamy, fudgy chocolate frosting, made from blood orange juice, anti-oxidant rich cacao, and my favourite: avocados. It may sound off to some, but I promise that avocado and chocolate is such a delicious combination – and you can’t taste avocados at all!
Especially not when you remember that gorgeous, fresh blood orange juice.
Anyway, if you love chocolate and orange, or if you are looking to experiment with more raw and raw vegan recipes, then I promise that these will be right up your street!
Raw Blood Orange Chocolate Brownies
- Creates 16 brownies –
- 2 cups nuts of choice (I recommend almonds – I have used 2 cups almonds, 1 cup almonds and 1 cup walnuts and 2 cups hazelnuts)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 7 tbsp cacao powder
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Zest two oranges
- Pinch pink salt
- For the frosting –
- Half of this recipe, using blood orange juice – I used slightly more than half the recipe called for – and Ombar Mandarin as the chocolate
- Fresh blood orange slices to top
- Make your brownies by blitzing together the nuts until they form a fine flour. Add the cacao, orange zest and salt and blend until combined.
- Add in the dates and raisins, along with the maple syrup and vanilla, and blend until completely broken down, scraping down the sides as needed. You want to blend until the mixture is fudgy and sticks together.
- Place in a lined brownie tin, pressing down firmly until even. Set in the fridge.
- In the meantime, make your frosting by following the method here. Spread over the top of your brownies, then place back into the freezer to set, or eat immediately. Store in the fridge in airtight containers.