With Halloween finally here, the shops are full of pumpkins of all shapes, sizes and colours.
However, they aren’t just for carving out Jack-o-Lanterns – they make the perfect fast and easy lunch or dinner if you have any lying around!
These Quinoa & Cranberry Stuffed Roasted Pumpkins (and squash, too, to be exact!) are full of beautiful, seasonal flavours.
This recipe is a collaboration with my faves at Meridian, and I added their pumpkin butter for extra creaminess and a dose of healthy fats.
The stuffed pumpkins are also packed with plant-based proteins (quinoa is one of the few vegan sources of protein that are complete – in other words, have all the essential amino acids!) and are super cheap to make.
These are also kid-approved and make a great, vegan or vegetarian option at Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners.
Happy Halloween, witches!
Quinoa & Cranberry Stuffed Roasted Pumpkins
- Serves 4
- Four small to medium pumpkins or squash, tops and seeds removed
- 250g dried quinoa
- One vegetable stock cube
- 2 tbsp Meridian pumpkin butter
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tbsp pecans, chopped
- Large handful parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds (arils)
Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Place the pumpkins – tops and seeds removed – on a roasting tray. Drizzle with a flash of olive oil, then sprinkle over a touch of salt and pepper (you can add your own herbs or spices, if desired!). Roast for 30-45 minutes, or until tender and lightly golden.
In the meantime, cook your quinoa according to packet instructions, adding the vegetable stock cube to the cooking water. Once fluffy and light, drain off any water as needed and set aside.
Once the pumpkins have cooked, turn the oven off and set them aside. Tip the quinoa into a pan on a low to medium heat. Stir through the pumpkin butter, cranberries, pecans and chopped parsley and season to taste. Cook until heated through, then spoon into the cooked pumpkins.
- Scatter over the pomegranate seeds and a touch more parsley. Eat warm, placing back in the oven on a low heat for 5-10 minutes more if needed.