These Easy Flatbread Pizzas have become one of our lockdown staples!
They are quick and simple to make – simple enough that even kids can enjoy them! – but taste absolutely delicious. In fact, this is my boys’ favourite food right now!
You can also adapt the recipe according to whatever toppings you have lying around.
Love and light,
Quick & Easy Flatbread Pizzas
- Makes 4 small pizzas, or 2 large –
- For the flatbreads:
- 1 1/2 cups flour of choice (I used wholemeal spelt – you can also use buckwheat for GF, but it results in a crumblier base)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- For the tomato sauce (can also use pesto for a quick and easy option) –
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 handfuls fresh basil, chopped
- To top –
- Vegan cheese (I LOVE Artisan Raw Cheddar)
- Vegetables of choice (I recommend cherry tomatoes, sweetcorn and red pepper)
- Crispy roasted chickpeas or cooked vegan meatballs
Start by heating a small drizzle of oil in a pan. Add the garlic for the tomato sauce – if making – and cook, stirring often, for a few minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and red pepper and heat, stirring often, until thickened (around 15 minutes). Blend until smooth, then stir in the basil, season to taste and set aside.
- In the meantime, to make the flatbreads, stir together the salt, flour and baking powder in a bowl. Make a well in the centre, then pour in the water and olive oil. Stir together, then knead for 5 minutes on a lightly-floured surface, or until smooth. Add a touch more flour if the dough is too sticky – this can depend on the flour used – and a touch more water if too dry.
- Preheat your oven to 180C. Now, divide the dough equally (into 2 or 4 pieces), then roll each out into a “pizza” shape.
- Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a frying pan. Add your first flatbread to the heated pan, then cook until the top begins to bubble. Flip and cook on the other side, until golden. Set aside and repeat with the remaining dough balls.
- Arrange the pizzas on lined baking trays. Spread a touch of tomato sauce or pesto over each pizza, then top with your choice of vegetables or chickpeas / meatballs, and vegan cheese. Cook in the preheated oven until warm and bubbling (around 8-10 minutes). Scatter over rocket, if using, and enjoy warm.