So, we’ve gone from hardly any salads on my blog to three in a few months or so. And during winter, too! Forgive me if it all seems crazy…
However, one thing I have wanted to create more of is Persian food. Amir is part-Iranian (he’s Iranian / French / English), and he always cooks us the most mouth-watering, comforting Persian cuisines.
I love the combination of flavours in Persian cooking, and the ingredients are always so beautiful – pistachios, pomegranates, mint, aubergine.
Anyway, the other day, we had a few aubergines to use up before the end of the week. I was wondering what to create, when I suddenly thought: “yes! I’ll make a Persian style salad!” and voila…this Grilled Aubergine Salad was born.
The salad is packed with ingredients common in Persian cuisine, but with my own plant-based twist – cannellini beans for added fibre, and quinoa for complete proteins.
I also decided to dress it with Amir’s favourite salad dressing – a light, simple mustard vinaigrette.
The result is this delicious salad!
It’s packed with colour and goodness, but also has plenty of flavour and texture too (the key to a great salad, in my opinion!). It’s also comforting, thanks to the warm aubergine and quinoa, but you can enjoy this during the lighter summer months, too.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
Persian-Style Grilled Aubergine Salad With Mustard Dressing
- Serves 2
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- One large aubergine, cut into strips length-ways (I used a mandolin)
- 5 large handfuls spinach
- 1 large handful rocket
- 1/2 large cucumber, finely chopped
- Handful parsley, finely chopped
- Handful mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 400g tin cannellini beans, drained
- 100g cooked quinoa (hold or cold)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- Small handful pistachios, finely chopped
- For the dressing –
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Dijon mustard, to taste (I add about 1 tsp)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Start by making your grilled aubergine. Using a pastry brush, brush your aubergines with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place under a hot grill (I actually used my hot plate) and grill until softened and browning. Set aside, covering with kitchen roll to keep warm if desired.
- Make your salad by tossing together all ingredients until well combined. Whisk together the dressing ingredients, then drizzle over your salad.
- Serve the salad in individual bowls, topped with slices of the grilled aubergine.