I can barely believe that it’s been nearly two months since Zayn started school!
He’s settled in amazingly well, better than I could have ever hoped, and it’s been so much fun (exciting, too!) to watch him grow and develop, and to learn to read! Fellow mamas, where does time fly?
This week, he’s been on half-term. While it’s lovely to have him at home – we went for an ice cream lunch date yesterday! – I’m also excited to get back to routine next week…and to be able to work!
Anyway, he’s also been missing his school puddings at lunch time each day, so I decided to recreate one of his favourite lunch time treats – crispies! I made these Chocolate Peanut Butter Crispy Doughnuts on a bit of a whim, not even sure if they’d work. But, they did and they are utterly delicious!
While I’m not saying they are healthy, they are completely free from refined sugars and carbs, and any added nasties. They’re also gluten-free and dairy-free (vegan), making them the perfect little snack for after-school!
Or, you know, with a cup of tea mid-afternoon if you’re a grown-up like me…
The beauty of these is that they’re so fast and simple to create, and a dream recipe for getting kids involved in the kitchen.
My boys love getting into the kitchen (they’re even starting to enjoy helping me to take my food photos!) and have great fun with these – a sticky, gooey, sweet mess!
Of course, for those of you who don’t have kids, these are just as delicious for us big people, too! Perhaps even more so…
No-Bake Peanut Butter & Chocolate Crispy Doughnuts
- Creates 8 mini ‘doughnuts’
- 2 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal (I used crispy brown rice) OR buckwheat crispies
- 7 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 5 tbsp brown rice syrup or honey
- 5 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Pinch salt
- For the chocolate topping –
- 120g dark chocolate, cut into mall squares
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- To make your doughnuts, gently melt together the brown rice syrup, peanut butter and coconut oil. Stir until smooth, then remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and salt.
- Pour your crispies into a large bowl, then pour in the melted peanut butter mixture. Stir to combine, ensuring all crispies are coated, then spoon into doughnut moulds and smooth over, pressing down with the back of a spoon. Place in the freezer to set.
- Once set, gently and slowly melt your dark chocolate with the coconut oil in a bain marie, stirring often until melted and smooth.
- Remove your doughnuts from the freezer, then dunk each doughnut into the chocolate glaze. Store in the fridge, but beware they can be a little fragile!