For me, one of the greatest foods known to man is peanut butter.
Especially when said peanut butter is combined with huge chunks of chocolate. Or, really, chocolate in any form…
For fellow nut butter fans, these Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies are pretty much heaven. Rich, sweet, nutty, full of huge chocolate chunks, and with a touch of saltiness too, they are a cookie dream.
Pretty amazing when you consider that they are completely vegan and made with aquafaba in place of eggs, right?!
Plus, they are refined sugar free, made using a combination of oat and spelt flour and all round delicious!
Honestly, when these cookies are around, they never linger for very long! And I often have to double up the batch so that there are some left for the boys (I have never ever had control when it comes to cookies and biscuits – they are most definitely my weakness!).
Happily, if you have a cookie craving, they are also very easy to make and whip up. So you can feed that urge within around 20 minutes – hurrah!
Anyway, I can assure you that you will not regret making these cookies.
Enjoy, savour – and then watch them disappear!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Makes 12 cookies –
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 5 tbsp aquafaba (chickpea brine)
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp natural peanut butter (I recommend crunchy!)
- 200g dark chocolate chunks
Start by preheating your oven to 170C and lining two large baking trays.
- Gently melt your butter. Stir in the sugar until well combined, then whisk in the aquafaba and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, salt, baking powder and bicarb. Stir in the wet butter mixture until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Next, stir through the peanut butter – this doesn’t need to be mixed in completely, leaving streaks in the mixture is good!
- Using a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop, take dollops of cookie mixture and line them on the baking trays, leaving plenty of room in between each cookie.
- Place in the oven to bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden. If your cookies aren’t flat when you take them from the oven, use a spoon to press down on them ever so gently. Leave to cool completely before storing in an airtight container until ready to eat!