*N.B. This is a sponsored post with Solgar*
Although we are heading into spring (hurrah!), I still feel in need of immune-boosting foods.
The air still seems to be full of bugs and nasties (although that may be because we have so many children in the house!), and colds are lingering for what feels like weeks.
Anyway, the lovely team at Solgar (creators of the most amazing range of vitamins and supplements) challenged me to create a cosy, comforting recipe that was packed with immune-boosting goodness.
This Pea & Broccoli Soup may look fresh and spring-like, but it’s the ultimate warrior for fighting off bugs and germs. And, when teamed with Solgar’s Ester-C Plus supplement (each tablet provides a whopping 1,250% of your RDA of vitamin C), your body will be strong, fit and healthy in no time at all!
The Solgar range of supplements really is impressive – I have long loved their Psyllium Husk supplement for a fibre boost, while the Turmeric Root capsules are also a great way of adding the magic of the anti-inflammatory sunshine spice to your diet.
However, the Ester-C tablets are a fantastic way of strengthening the immune system – particularly if you are a frazzled parent, much like me!
When combined with this wholesome, nourishing soup, I promise you that your body will be reaping the rewards.
As well as the Vitamin C supplement, you also benefit from:
- Broccoli, which is also rich in vitamin C
- Peas, which are high in plant-based proteins
- Anti-inflammatory ginger
- Anti-inflammatory parsley (parsley is also rich in vitamin C!)
- Soothing, calming mint
- Magnesium-rich seeds
All in all, the perfect boost for tired, strung-out souls who are feeling the after-effects of winter!
And, let’s face it, what could be more comforting than snuggling up on the sofa with a warming bowl of homemade soup…?
What are your favourite immune boosters?
Let me know!
Immune-Boosting Pea & Broccoli Soup
- Serves 4-6
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- One inch chunk ginger, peeled and grated
- Two cups peas (fresh or frozen)
- One head broccoli, cut into florets
- One large potato, peeled and chopped
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- Small handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Small handful fresh mint, chopped
- Squeeze lemon juice (to taste)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Drizzle plant-based yoghurt, fresh mint and sunflower or pumpkin seeds, to serve (optional)
- Start by heating some coconut oil in a large saucepan. Add the spring onions and garlic and sauté on a low to medium heat until the onions have softened and the garlic is lightly golden – a few minutes. Add in the ginger and cook for a further minute, stirring often.
- Stir in the peas, broccoli, potato and then pour in the vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until the vegetables have completely softened (around 20 minutes).
- Place in a blender, along with the fresh herbs, coconut cream, lemon juice and seasoning to taste and blitz smooth.
- Serve warm alongside fresh, crusty bread and Solgar.