Over the last few weeks or so, we have become complete and utter aubergine addicts.
After spying them in the supermarket for just 40p a go, we bought a load and have been living off them ever since! We’ve been eating them in all kinds of ways – think curries, dips and shakshukas – but roasted aubergine has won a place in my heart.
These Miso Roasted Aubergines are buttery soft in texture, but with a crisp, almost salty topping thanks to the miso glaze.
They are delicious on their own (it’s that melt-in-the-mouth texture – just divine!), but taken to the next level when drizzled in a turmeric and tahini dressing. I mean, isn’t that colour from the turmeric stunning on its own…?
This recipe is actually a collaboration between myself and Solgar, who make the most amazing array of effective supplements. I used their Turmeric Root capsules in this recipe (a product which I take every day) to enjoy the benefit of turmeric’s anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant qualities and to give this recipe an even healthier kick.
The tahini dressing is actually one of my favourites, and I use it to drizzle over all kinds of foods! It’s also delicious when served with roasted pumpkin or warm butternut squash salads. Maybe I’ll do a recipe for that one soon…!
Anyway, this aubergine is super simple, yet incredibly impressive! I hope you enjoy it too!
Miso Aubergine With Turmeric Dressing
- Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a side
- 2 aubergines, cut in half length-ways
- 3 tbsp white miso paste
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped into thin slices
- For the tahini dressing –
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2-1 tbsp maple syrup (to taste)
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- Water, to thin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 capsules Solgar Turmeric Root Extract Capsules, contents removed
- For the salad –
- 4 handfuls spinach
- 1 handful rocket
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- Handful edamame beans
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- Handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 6 tbsp pomegranate arils
- Preheat the oven to 190C, then line a baking tray.
- Using a sharp knife, score your aubergines, creating a criss-cross pattern. Using a pastry brush, liberally brush the flesh with 1 tbsp oil (e.g olive oil or melted coconut oil). Slot the cloves of garlic into some of the scores.
- In a bowl, whisk the miso with a splash of water to make a paste – for a more intense miso hit (this is me!), simple rub the miso paste into the aubergine without the water. Brush over the aubergine, then place on the baking trays and place in the oven to roast for 40-55 minutes. After 30 minutes, check your aubergines – if they are browning too quickly, then cover with foil. They are cooked when they feel buttery soft.
- In the meantime, make your tahini dressing by whisking together all ingredients, seasoning to taste and adding more or less water as desired.
- Now prepare your salad by tossing all ingredients together.
- Serve the aubergines warm, drizzled in the dressing and served on a bed of prepared salad.