Regular readers will most probably have heard me complain of my chaotic mornings before…
But, with three young boys, my morning routine can be stressful, frazzled and manic. And that is at the best of times!
To save me from hiding in the pantry in the mornings, I’ve found that it helps to have a breakfast already prepared that I can simply scoop into bowls and place in front of those demanding, hungry mouths (serious question: do boys EVER fill up?)
This Maple & Pecan Granola is always a favourite in our house.
It is made with simple, minimal ingredients straight from your store cupboard, yet tastes utterly delicious. It has to – it is firmly kid-approved!
Plus, it’s far healthier and more nourishing than a bowl of cereal come morning.
The recipe is, of course, vegan and can be easily made gluten-free with gluten-free oats, too.
It’s also simple to adapt according to whatever you have to hand – perhaps you want to use walnuts or brown rice syrup, or maybe you want to skip the nut butter and add more butter / oil instead!
Whatever you do, make sure you double up the recipe to this – you’ll be eating it fresh out of the oven and wondering where it disappeared to come breakfast time! 😉
Maple & Pecan Granola
- Makes one batch –
- 3 tbsp pecan or cashew butter
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or vegan butter
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups oats
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- Pinch salt
- 100g dark chocolate chips (optional)
- 3/4 cup raisins (optional)
- To serve – coconut yoghurt, fresh berries and mandarin slices
Start by preheating your oven to 150C and lining a baking tray.
- Place the pecan butter, coconut oil / butter and maple syrup into a small pan. Gently heat until the oil has melted, stirring smooth. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the oats, coconut, pecans and salt until combined. Fold in the melted oil mixture, stirring to ensure the oats are coated evenly. Tip onto your prepared baking tray, then place in the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes (or until golden and crisp), stirring ten minutes through cooking.
- Once cooked, turn the oven off completely, then open the oven door. Allow the granola to cool while still inside the oven – this helps it to crisp more.
- Once cool, stir through dark chocolate chunks and dried fruit, if using and store in an airtight container until ready to eat.