And, just like that, the boys are back-to-school!
Well, not really just like that. The last six, seven weeks have dragged on a little – and I’ve not been able to blog or create anywhere near as much as I’d have liked!
But, hurrah, we survived, and today I packed Zayn off for his first day back. Leo, my middle boy, has his first ever day at school (I am already preparing for the sobs!) on Monday, and Ezra is moving into pre-school. How do they grow so fast…?
Anyway, the first few days of a new year and term are always slightly manic and frazzled, aren’t they? It’s the constant dashing and rushing – the sleeping through alarms, the frantic searching high and low for lost socks, checking that homework has been done, and making sure everyone is bathed, cleaned and all remnants of sandy beaches washed away.
With that in mind, I’ve whipped up a huge batch of this Homemade Nutella to help us ease into those first few mornings.
It’s perfect slathered on thick slabs of sourdough and topped with berries for easy, kid-approved breakfasts (and they’ll even think you’re letting them have a treat!), or even added into homemade granola or spooned on apple or banana slices for a healthy snack.
Of course, adults will enjoy it just as much, too – if not more so! I’ve been eating it by the spoonful.
This creamy, dreamy chocolate hazelnut spread is also dairy-free, vegan and utterly, deliciously addictive.
Made with only wholesome, nourishing ingredients – and sweetened with very little unrefined sugar (I used maple syrup, but use stevia drops for a Keto version!) – it’s perfect rocket fuel for the day.
For that ultra creamy texture, I added in large drizzles of coconut milk, as well as melted dark chocolate. I find these help to keep your Nutella smooth and silky – and more like the shop-bought stuff!
Of course, you can keep it lower calorie by adding in some cacao instead of dark chocolate, but I’d suggest keeping it just like this!
Enjoy – and good luck to all the mamas (and dads!) who are getting the kids ready for back-to-school!
- Creates one large batch –
- 3 cups roasted, skinless hazelnuts
- 100g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Vita Coco coconut oil
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- Coconut milk, to create texture desired (I added around a cup – but you can add more or less! The key is adding it in slowly so you get just the right amount)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or more, to taste)
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Pinch salt
Place the hazelnuts into a high-powered blender or food processor and blend until they form a powder. Stir, then blend once more, scraping down as needed, until the nuts start to release their oils and become nut butter-like.
In the meantime, gently melt the dark chocolate with the coconut oil in a bain marie, stirring smooth.
Add the dark chocolate into the hazelnut butter and blend to combine. Add in the maple syrup, vanilla, cacao and salt and pulse to combine.
- Now, add in your coconut milk 1/4 cup at a time, blending well in between each addition. The key is to add the coconut milk slowly, stopping when you get your desired texture – I added around a cup, but you can add more or less. It all depends on what you’re going for!
- Taste and adjust the sweetness or even cacao levels as desired. Spoon into airtight jars or containers and store in the fridge until ready to eat.