If you’re not quite ready to say goodbye to summer, but you still want to make the most of the seasonal produce, then this is the recipe for you!
This light, delicious Heirloom Tomato, Watercress & Pesto Salad is full of goodness, packed with flavour, yet still light enough for a summery day.
It also works equally well in lunchboxes and for Indian Summer picnics!
I added in some hemp hearts to boost satiety and add in a touch of plant-based proteins and healthy fats. However, if you want to add to this dish and make it more of a meal, then you can easily add in your favourite protein – crispy tofu always goes down well in our house!
Heirloom Tomato, Watercress & Pesto Salad
- Serves 2-4
- 500g heirloom cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- Four handfuls watercress
- Two medium avocados, pitted and sliced
- 4 spring onions, diced
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 3 tbsp hemp seeds
- For the pesto dressing –
- 4 tbsp pesto (I made my own)
- Lemon juice to taste (I used half a lemon)
- Water to thin (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Toss together all ingredients for your salad.
- Whisk together the pesto and lemon juice to taste, then stir in a drizzle of water to thin slightly, if desired. Season to taste, then drizzle over the salad. Toss once more, then eat immediately.