Is there anything better than an afternoon (preferably spent basking in the sun), surrounded by vats of tea, scones, jam and cream?
I think not…
A good old British cream tea is one of life’s greatest pleasures and also one of my favourite indulgences.
During my week off, I decided to try to create a healthier scone, so that I could enjoy my favourite cream tea far more often. These scrumptious, diet-friendly scones are served with a dollop of Coconut Cream & Raspberry Chia Jam and are utter perfection!
They’re also dairy-free, and free from refined sugars and nasty ingredients.
What could be better?
Healthier Scones With Vanilla Coconut Cream and Raspberry Chia Jam
- 1.5 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup Coconom coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp stevia
- 1/4 cup Lucy Bee coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup dairy-free milk of choice
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 handfuls raisins
- For the coconut cream –
- 1 can coconut milk, chilled overnight
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the raspberry chia jam –
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200C, then grease and line two baking trays. To make the scones, process all ingredients together until combined. The dough should be slightly sticky, but rollable. If you need to add a touch more ground almonds, combine again!
- Stir in the raisins, then form the dough into balls. Lay on the baking sheets – leave space between each ball – then flatten the tops ever so slightly. Bake for around 13 – 15 minutes, or until cooked, then leave to cool.
- In the meantime, make the coconut cream by scooping out the “cream” from your chilled coconut milk. Using a hand-held mixer, blend with the remaining ingredients until light and fluffy. Stop to taste and add more sweetener, if desired. Spoon into a bowl, cover and leave in the fridge until ready to serve
- To make the jam, blitz ingredients until smooth. Pour into a saucepan, then heat until it starts to bubble. Reduce the heat, then constantly whisk until thickened. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Once the scones are cooled, serve with dollops of coconut cream and raspberry chia jam and enjoy!