Wow, so this has quickly become one of my favourite new recipes. Combining three of my favourite foods (sweet potato, avocado and pomegranate), it’s become an instant winner. And, in fact, I’ve had it to eat every day for lunch this week.
I always seem to go a bit nuts on the desserts and puddings (I have a sweet tooth, after all), but I created this after wondering about Christmas side dishes. And, really, what could be prettier on your Christmas dinner table than these?
Vibrant, beautiful baked sweet potatoes, drizzled in an avocado cream and bejewelled with ruby red pomegranate seeds.
I am absolutely addicted to this avocado cream (I first created it for these roasted cauliflower and chickpea wraps), and it tastes utterly delicious when paired with the sweetness of the sweet potato and pomegranate seeds.
Plus – and this is always a huge bonus in my eyes! – it takes minimal effort to create, little washing up and, oh, doesn’t it look beautiful?
What are your Christmas sides going to be?
Hasselback Sweet Potatoes With Avocado Cream and Pomegranate
- Serves 4
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- Few sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp melted Lucy Bee coconut oil OR olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- For the avocado cream –
- 1 avocado, pitted and chopped
- 3-4 tbsp Co-Yo coconut yoghurt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 handfuls coriander, chopped
- Juice 1/2 lime
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Pomegranate seeds, to top
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Start by preparing your potatoes by washing and scrubbing them, then cut slits along the potato, ensuring you don’t cut fully to the bottom. Place them on a lined baking tray.
- In a bowl, mix together the oil with some fresh thyme leaves, the garlic and some seasoning. Drizzle over the potatoes, using a pastry brush to ensure you’ve coated the entire potato and its slices. Sprinkle over a touch more salt, then place in the oven to bake for 45-60 minutes, depending on the size of the potato. Half-way through cooking, brush the potato with some more of the oil mixture, placing back in the oven to finish cooking.
- In the meantime, make the avocado cream by blitzing together all of the ingredients until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Once the potatoes have cooked, serve warm with drizzles of avocado cream. Scatter over pomegranate seeds and enjoy.