OK, guys. I think I just made the BEST sweet grilled sandwich I’ve ever tried.
Big words, but hear me out – how could it possibly get more delicious than a Grilled Peanut Butter, Raspberry Jam & Chocolate Sandwich? I don’t know about you, but that’s pretty much allllll my favourite foods made melty and oozy and stuffed between slices of grilled bread.
Lunch couldn’t get more decadent. Nor could it get more delicious.
This vegan grilled sandwich is a collaboration with my friends at Meridian Foods, and is the perfect recipe for British Sandwich Week!
Happily, this grilled peanut butter sandwich is vegan, oil-free (if you exclude the melted butter) and also incredibly simple to make. It can also be made completely sugar-free for a guilt-free indulgence.
The boys loved this so much that Ezra declared: “Mummy, I want to eat this allllll day.”
I think you will too!
Grilled Peanut Butter, Raspberry Jam & Chocolate Sandwiches
- Serves 1 –
- 2 slices wholegrain bread (I used freshly-baked)
- 2 heaped tbsp natural peanut butter (I used Meridian Smooth)
- 1.5 tbsp raspberry chia jam (see recipe below)
- 20g dark chocolate, chopped into smallish chunks
- 1 tsp vegan butter, melted (optional)
- For the chia jam (this should last beyond this sandwich – double for a batch to last the week!) –
- 250g frozen raspberries
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup (to taste – or omit for sugar-free)
- 2.5 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Start by making your chia jam at least 20 minutes before you want to prepare your sandwich. Gently heat the berries in a pan, along with 1 tablespoon of water, until the berries begin to break down. Stir smooth. Remove from the heat, then stir through remaining ingredients and set aside to thicken and cool (around 20 minutes). Place in an airtight container and store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat your grill. Once warmed, lightly toast your bread for a few minutes. Remove from the grill, then spread each slice with 1 heaped tbsp of peanut butter. On one of the slices, spread over the chia jam, then sprinkle over the chopped chocolate. Sandwich the bread together, then brush each side with the melted butter, if using.
- Place in the grill until toasted and the chocolate has started to melt. Serve warm.