I meant to get this recipe well up in time for Halloween, but…well…time slipped by, and here it is – a good few days late!
Anyway, if you happen to have any leftover pumpkin lying around after Halloween, then these Grain-Free Pumpkin Pie Bars With Maple Cream Cheese are the perfect treat!
Made using a combination of almond flour and coconut flour, they are completely Paleo-friendly – and also happen to be vegan, too! In effect, they are a giant, grain-free vegan pumpkin cake.
The texture is soft and gooey, and the spices are warming, cosy and autumnal – thing nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon. In other words, all my favourites!
Anyway, they are brilliant to bake for kids, particularly if you have some spare pumpkin lying around!
Grain-Free Pumpkin Pie Bars With Maple Cream Cheese
- Creates one tray –
- For the wet ingredients:
- 1 can 100% natural pumpkin puree (425g)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3.5 tbsp almond butter
- 6.5 tbsp apple puree
- 6 tbsp nut milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut or brown sugar
- 2 tbsp liquid sweetener (e.g maple syrup, rice syrup, agave or Sweet Freedom)
- For the dry ingredients –
- 2 1/2 cups ground almonds
- 5 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4-1/2 tsp nutmeg and the same amount of ginger
- Large pinch salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- For the cream cheese frosting –
- 3/4 cup dairy-free cream cheese (I used Nush almond cream cheese)
- Maple syrup, to taste (I used 2 tbsp)
- Preheat your oven to 180C, then line a rectangular brownie tin.
- Stir together your dry ingredients (apart from the sugar) in a large mixing bowl, then set aside.
- In a blender or processor, blitz together all the “wet” ingredients. Your mixture should just fall off a spoon when held up – add a touch more coconut flour if the mixture feels too wet. Fold into the dry mixture, then spoon into your prepared tin, smoothing down the top.
- Place in the oven to bake for 21-26 minutes, or until the top is firm and the cake is only a tiny bit gooey inside. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool, before placing in the fridge overnight (this results in the best texture).
- In the meantime, whisk together your cream cheese ingredients, then place in the fridge to firm. Spread over your cooled cake, then cut into slices and enjoy!