No matter how hard I try, I simply can’t face savoury breakfasts. I’m a naturally sweet-toothed person anyway (have you guessed?), but there’s just something about the morning that leaves me desperate for sweeter foods.
The reality is, being a working mama of three small boys leaves me low on energy and craving sweeter things. And, while I do make sure these are as wholesome and as natural as can be, sometimes I like to shake things up.
Step forward my Grain-Free ‘Porridge’, for days where a green smoothie or ordinary oats simply won’t do.
Full of healthy fats for energy and store cupboard essentials, these are a fantastic alternative to oats for those on a grain-free, gluten-free diet, or simply looking to mix it up a little!
As with most of my recipes, they’re easy to adapt – change the nuts (you can use Macadamia nuts if you’re on a low-FODMAP diet), add in some coconut oil, add fresh coconut, fruit, or whatever you fancy, really!
The beauty is that you can also change the flavours according to the toppings you use. However, me and my sweet tooth will stick to banana slices and berry puree 😉
- Serves 1-2
- 1 1/2 handfuls cashews, soaked 4-6 hours and drained
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp coconut milk
- 2 tbsp protein powder of choice (I used Rejuvenated vegan Protein Smoothie in banana)
- 1 tbsp dessicated coconut
- 1 tbsp smooth almond butter
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp maple syrup OR 1/2 banana OR 2 Medjool dates
- 1.5 tsp vanilla paste
- Chia seeds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, mixed berries, to top
- Unbeelievable Bee Prepared Capsules, to top
- Place the ingredients for the porridge into a high-powered blender and blitz until you reach your desired consistency, adding more milk if needed.
- Spoon into a bowl and scatter over your favourite toppings, then enjoy!