Every Christmas, I make a HUGE batch of granola.
This is for both gifting (homemade granola is my dad’s favourite thing!), and also to serve for special, festive breakfasts when we don’t have much time to spare.
I have to confess that I also adore the fragrance of homemade granola wafting through the kitchen – particularly when it is spiced with my favourite Christmas flavour: gingerbread.
This Grain-Free Gingerbread Granola is a plant-based / vegan and Paleo take on a classic Granola. It is deliciously crisp, packed with flavour and utterly addictive – but contains no oats, no gluten and no grains.
It is light and delicious, but the spices add plenty of warmth to make it comforting and festive still.
If you fancy making this Oil-Free too, you can easily do so – just simply switch out the butter or coconut oil for some nut butter (perhaps pecan) or even sweet potato or apple puree, and you’re good to go!
Grain-Free Gingerbread Granola
- Creates 1 batch (enough for four to six – depending on how greedy you are with granola!)
- 1 1/2 cups pecans
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 3 tbsp ground flax or ground chia
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- Large pinch salt
- 1-2 tsp ground cinnamon (to taste)
- 1-2 tsp ground ginger (to taste)
- 3.5 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (or more, to taste)
- 1/2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (to serve)
- 1 cup dried cranberries (to serve)
- Preheat oven to 170C, then line a large baking tray.
- In a blender, pulse together the nuts and coconut until the mixture breaks down and becomes finer – leave a few chunks in there for texture, though!
- Tip into a mixing bowl and stir in remaining ingredients (you can add more melted oil, if you prefer a chunkier texture) until the mixture sticks together.
- Place on the prepared baking tray in an even layer and bake for 13 minutes. Stir, then lower the oven temperature to 150C and continue to cook for 9 minutes, or until golden all over. Turn off the oven, open the oven door and allow the granola to cool inside – this helps it to crisp up.
- Once cool, stir through chocolate chips and dried cranberries and store in an airtight container.