Just incase, like me, you’re into gingerbread EVERYTHING (and I mean everything!), I’m bringing you a healthy, festive snack idea today…
These Gingerbread Energy Balls are the perfect recipe for a busy day of Christmas cooking, shopping, present wrapping and mad dashing around (i.e every day for me for the last two months!).
They have all the delicious flavours of gingerbread, but with plenty of goodness instead – think flax for healthy fats, carbs for fibre and complex carbs (energy – yay!) and delicious pecans, as well as all those warming spices.
Gingerbread Energy Balls
- Serves 2
- 1 1/2 cups pecans
- 3/4 cup oats
- 3 tbsp flax
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- Pinch cloves
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 3 heaped tbsp date paste
- 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- Few drops liquid stevia (optional)
- Chopped pecans and dark chocolate chips (optional, but recommended)
Place your pecans into a blender and blitz until they form a uniform, flour-like texture. Add in the oats and process until well combined and broken down.
- Tip the pecan / oat mix into a bowl and stir in the spices and salt until well combined. Stir through the date paste and molasses, along with the chopped pecans and dark chocolate chips, and fold to combine. Add in more sweetener or stevia drops, if needed.
- Shape into balls in your hands (if the mix is too sticky, add in some more oats or ground almonds). Place in the fridge in airtight containers until ready to eat.