Happy Friday everyone!
Coming at you with the most delicious recipe, just in time for weekend indulgence.
These ultra fudgy, gooey Avocado Brownies are seriously addictive! I have made them FIVE (yes, five) times in the last week alone, and I couldn’t love them more!
Although these brownies are oil-free, gluten-free AND grain-free, do not let that fool you! They are utterly delicious, taste incredibly decadent, and are essentially little bites of heaven.
The brownies are made with ground almonds and cacao in place of flour, and use a combination of avocado and nut butter (I used almond butter) instead of butter and ordinary fat.
I am also a big believer in using actual chocolate in brownies – I like my brownies gooey and rich, rather than cakey!
To make them even more tempting, I added a vegan /dairy-free chocolate ganache, but you can leave this out if needed.
I hope you love these as much as we did!
Fudgy Avocado Brownies
- Creates one batch –
- 170g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup smooth nut butter (cashew or almond butter work best – I used Meridian)
- 1/2 medium or large ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp strong espresso coffee (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- For the dry ingredients –
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
- Large pinch salt (to taste)
- 100g dark chocolate chips
- For the optional vegan chocolate ganache –
- 150g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 150ml plant-based cream (I used coconut cream)
- Start by preheating your oven to 170C, then line a square baking tin (I used a 7×7 inch tin).
- In a saucepan, microwave or bain marie, gently melt together the nut butter and dark chocolate, stirring constantly until completely smooth. Remove from the heat. Stir in the coconut sugar and keep stirring until sugar begins to melt.
- Spoon the mixture into a blender and add in the avocado, coconut milk, coffee (if using) and vanilla. Blitz until completely smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the ground almonds, cacao, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda. Fold in the chocolate mixture until well combined, then stir in chocolate chips. Add salt, to taste.
- Pour into your baking tin, then place in the oven to bake until firm on top but still gooey in the middle – in my 7×7 tin, this took 20 minutes. However, be aware that in large tins it may take less time, so check from 17-18 minutes! If you like a firmer brownie, then cook a few minutes more. Remove from the oven, then allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, frost your brownies. Gently warm the plant milk until warm but not boiling. Remove from the heat, then add in the chocolate. Stir until completely melted (apply a touch more heat – gently does it! – if needed. Smooth over your brownies, then cut and enjoy.