Happy Monday, folks!
Tomorrow sees one of my favourite days of the year – Shrove Tuesday – and I am already incredibly excited for the chance to fill my belly with stacks of pancakes!
Anyway, to celebrate Pancake Day, I thought I’d share with you these delicious, fluffy American-Style Quinoa Pancakes – a healthy vegan pancake recipe that even little ones will love!
These pancakes are gluten-free, grain free, high protein AND vegan, yet they still taste incredibly delicious, fluffy and stack perfectly too!
Especially when you serve them dripping in maple syrup or ice cream…
How will you be celebrating Pancake Day?
Fluffy Quinoa Pancakes
- Serves 2-4 (Creates 12 American-style pancakes)
- One ripe banana
- One cup dairy-free milk (I used cashew milk)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp melted butter (can use coconut yoghurt for oil-free)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp quinoa flour (can use wholemeal or white spelt flour for a more classic taste, or half quinoa flour / half spelt!)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 50g dark chocolate chips
- To serve (optional) –
- Fresh berries
- Ice cream (I love Booja Booja)
- Quinoa puffs
- 50g dark chocolate melted with 1 tsp coconut oil
- To make the pancake batter, blend together the banana, milk, maple syrup, oil and vanilla until completely smooth. Add in the remaining dry ingredients – apart from the chocolate chips – and blend once more until smooth. Pour into a mixing bowl and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Once ready to make, heat some oil or vegan butter in a pan until melted and the pan is hot. Spoon some of the pancake mixture into the pan (I used around 2 tbsp of batter per pancake), creating pancake shapes. Scatter over a few chocolate chips. Allow to heat for around one minute – there should be plenty of bubbles on top – or until ready to flip. Flip, then cook on the remaining side for a further minute, or until completely cooked through and fluffy.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture, keeping cooked pancakes warm in kitchen roll placed in an oven on a very low temp (around 100C) if desired.
- Once all the pancakes are cooked, serve warm topped with berries, ice cream, melted chocolate and quinoa puffs. Eat immediately.