How are you all coping right now? I hope you are all safe and well, wherever you are in the world.
I know that, for many of you, your anxiety will be high right now, and you may feel scared, overwhelmed or lonely. If this is you, please know that you can email me at any time and we can chat – you are not alone.
Anyway, I’ll writing a few recipes and giving you a few ideas over the coming days about what you can eat using store cupboard ingredients. I’ll also share some healthy snack ideas and recipes that you can bake with kids!
Back to this Easy Vegan “Egg” Fried Rice…I’ve actually been making this on repeat since the New Year, and kept meaning to share the recipe! However I never got around to it, but now…well, it’s the perfect food as it’s made using longer life or store cupboard ingredients.
Rather than egg fried rice it is, essentially, tofu fried rice and is made using my scrambled tofu as a base.
Once that’s prepared, the recipe couldn’t be easier! Just toss in cooked rice, defrosted frozen veggies and some soy sauce and, BAM!, you are done!
As always, please feel free to mix the recipe up according to whatever you have lying around.
Love and light,
Easy Vegan “Egg” Fried Rice
- Serves 4 –
- For the scrambled tofu –
- 200g firm tofu
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Splash plant-based milk
- For the rice –
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely diced
- 4 cups cooked rice (roughly two packets of microwaveable rice, if this is all you have!)
- 1 1/2 cups mixed frozen vegetables, defrosted
- 2-4 tbsp soy sauce or coconut aminos (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 chopped spring onions, finely chopped
Start by making your scrambled tofu. Heat the 2 tsp sesame oil in a large saucepan. In the meantime, break up your tofu into small chunks in a mixing bowl, then toss with the garlic, yeast, turmeric and onion powder. Add a sprinkling of salt and pepper and tip into the heated oil on a medium to low heat. Cook, stirring often, then whisk in a splash of milk. Continue to cook until prepared to your desired texture (I do mine for 7-10 minutes, or until starting to turn a light brown), ensuring you stir often. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat your remaining sesame oil. Fry your onion, stirring frequently, until the onion begins to soften and turns golden – around five minutes. Tip in the rice, along with a small splash of water, and stir, breaking up any clumps of rice as you go.
- Add in the tofu and vegetables and heat for a few more minutes. Stir in the soy sauce, adding it one tablespoon at a time to taste, as well as the chilli flakes if using. Cook until heated through and season to taste.
- Serve warm topped with chopped spring onions.