There’s nothing quite like food to make you feel nostalgic, is there?
From plump blackberries oozing with juices to bittersweet rhubarb dunked in a bowl of sugar and mountainous Yorkshire puddings, there are quite a few foods which remind me of my beloved grandparents.
As for my mum (who always did the cooking when I was a child!)…classic crepes and zesty, light-as-air Lemon Meringue puddings will always make me think back to childhood.
You see, when I was a child, we never had fluffy, pillowy American pancakes. Instead, for Pancake Day, we would always dig into platefuls of English crepes, always served with a sprinkling of sugar and a squeeze of fresh lemon or orange juice.
To this day, this is my favourite way to enjoy crepes! So, here is my Classic and Easy Vegan Crepe recipe for you to try and enjoy on this coming Pancake Day / Shrove Tuesday!
They’re easy to make and deliciously versatile. Feel free also to swap out the sparkling water for more milk, although I recommend using the water if you can because it helps to make these less dense and more light!
Classic Easy Vegan Crepes
- Makes one batch
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 170ml plant milk of choice
- 100ml sparkling water
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 150g spelt flour
- Zest one orange
- Large pinch salt
- For serving: Maple syrup, fresh citrus, squeezes of orange and lemon, coconut yoghurt
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, orange zest and salt. Make a well in the centre, then pour in the melted butter, plant milk and sparkling water. Whisk until smooth and lump-free, then set aside for at least five minutes.
- Heat some butter or oil in a pan until very hot. Pour in the batter (I recommend around 2-3 tbsp per crepe), tilting the pan to form a thin, circular crepe. Cook until bubbles form on the top, then flip and cook until lightly golden on both sides and cooked through. Repeat steps with remaining mixture.
- Serve crepes with your choice of toppings, but I love classic citrus juice, maple syrup and coconut yoghurt!