The last few days or so, the temperature has well and truly dropped. Even when the sun is shining, there’s a real chill to the air, and the leaves are already starting to fall.
On top of this, I’ve been blessed with a stinking cold. I lost my voice so badly the other day that I had to whisper as I sang “happy birthday” to my eldest baby, Zayn, when he turned six!
Anyway, what I’m trying to get at is that it definitely feels like Autumn now. And, with Autumn, comes chunky knits and boots, cosy nights in, hot chocolate and all the comfort food. In other words, now is the time for soups, curries, stews and chillis!
This Curried Lentil Soup is perfect for a cold day where all you want is comfort and to snuggle up on the sofa.
This is another collaboration with my favourites at Vita Coco, this time using their gorgeous coconut milk to add creaminess and flavour to the soup. If you haven’t already tried their coconut milk, then I recommend that you dash out to the supermarket now and go for it, because it’s a real treat!
Anyway, this gorgeous dish is incredibly simple to make and prepare, yet is full of warming goodness and vitamins and minerals to keep you well protected from the dreaded cold and flu season.
At this time of year, I’ll find any excuse to add red peppers to my food as they are full of vitamin C, which means they provide a real boost to the immune system.
The red lentils, meanwhile, help to turn this cosy soup into a real meal. Something that will keep you feeling full all day, or something that you can happily eat for dinner without feeling cheated! Although, saying that, I cannot serve soup without crusty, fresh sourdough bread! Are you with me…?
What are your favourite soups? Let me know so I can try them, too!
Curried Lentil Soup
- Serves 2-4
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 tbsp curry paste of choice – I used Red Thai (homemade is preferable)
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2-1 tsp chilli flakes (optional – add if you like spicier soups!)
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups coconut milk (I used Vita Coco)
- 200g red lentils
- Large handful fresh coriander
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Lime juice, to serve
- Heat some Vita Coco coconut oil in a pan. Add in the red onion and fry, stirring often, for a minute or so. Add in the garlic and fry until golden before tossing in your veggies, ginger and the curry paste (add more in if you prefer things spicier!). Stir to combine, then continue to heat and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add in the vegetable stock, coconut milk and lentils and cook on a medium to low heat until the lentils and carrots are softened (around 20-25 minutes), adding a splash more water if needed. Chop the stems of your coriander and stir these through, reserving the fresh coriander leaves for serving.
- Season to taste and blend, if desired, for a smooth soup, or leave chunky.
- Serve with a drizzle of fresh lime and the coriander leaves, then a dollop of coconut yoghurt if desired.