For many a year, I avoided potatoes like the plague.
Caught up in the whole “carbs (and especially potatoes) are evil, fat-making monsters” craze, I cut them out from my diet, and led a potato-free existence.
If you’ve ever lived a potato-free existence too, then you’ll know that it’s a sad world. I mean, let’s face it, many of the most delicious foods on this planet contain potatoes! Fries, roast potatoes, veggie burgers, certain curries…
Why on earth cut them out?!
Anyway, I had a sort of potato awakening, and I realised what I’d been missing out on. I also realised that, no, potatoes are not the dieting devil – they are actually incredibly nutritious, cheap, delicious and full of goodness!
In fact, potatoes are naturally low in fat and salt, contain more potassium than a banana, rich in magnesium and vitamin B6, and also packed with fibre.
Now that you know that, are you going to join me in devouring some Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Guacamole and Sundried Tomato Dips?!!
These crispy skinned potatoes are a god-send to fellow potato lovers. Crisp on the outside, fluffy and light on the inside…they take all the best bits of classic roast potatoes and make them even more delicious!
When served with dips or sauces – I dished my crispy potatoes up with sundried tomato pesto and a classic guacamole – they’re also delicious, fun and great finger food! They’re also a good idea for parties and summer BBQs.
While you can make these with any potatoes, I loved making mine with classic Jersey Royals, since they are in season. Their small size also means less cooking time, which is always a winner if you’re impatient like me 😉
Anyway, these potatoes are incredibly versatile, and can be eaten however you fancy! Mix up the herbs or add some spices, or keep things simple and just dunk away in ketchup!
Crispy Smashed Potatoes With Sundried Tomato Pesto & Guacamole Dips
- 1kg potatoes (I used Jersey Royals), washed
- 3 tbsp olive oil or melted, vegan butter
- 3 whole cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Fresh herbs of choice (I used thyme)
- For the guacamole –
- 3 ripe avocados, pitted and mashed
- Handful cherry tomatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Small handful coriander, finely chopped
- Juice 1/2 lime
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For the sundried tomato pesto, click here
- Preheat your oven to 220C and line two baking trays. Set aside.
- Place your washed potatoes – whole – into a pot and fill with water. Bring to the boil, then simmer until soft (my small Jersey Royals took around 20 minutes, but it depends on the size of your potatoes!)
- Drain potatoes, and allow to air dry.
- Arrange potatoes on your baking trays then, using a fork, gently squash them down, ensuring you keep them intact. Drizzle over the oil or butter, toss to coat, then season and sprinkle over the herbs. Place in the oven and roast until crisp and lightly golden – around 20 minutes.
- While potatoes are roasting, prepare the pesto according to instructions, and the guacamole by mashing together the ingredients and seasoning to taste.
- Serve potatoes warm with the dips on the side.