While I love chickpeas (I will literally toss them into anything), I know that they’re not everyone’s cup of tea.
However, even if you don’t love them, I would recommend that you try this, because roasted chickpeas? Well, they’re something else.
You see, when you roast your tinned chickpeas in the oven, some pretty neat magic seems to take place. They become salty, crispy and ultra-moreish – the perfect afternoon snack to replace even the most dedicated of crisp lovers.
This recipe is pretty simple to adapt, too. While these chickpeas are savoury and roasted with Indian, curried spices, it’s easy to make them sweet too. Try drizzling in melted coconut oil before roasting, and tossing in coconut sugar and cinnamon. They are utterly delicious!
Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
- 2 tins chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp olive oil or melted coconut oil
- ¾ tsp pink salt
- 1 tbsp curry powder (or whatever you fancy – I also love cumin, paprika, and cinnamon with a touch of coconut sugar. Just cut back on the salt for sweet variations!)
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Pat your drained chickpeas dry with a clean cloth or kitchen roll. It’s important you get them as dry as possible (otherwise they won’t crisp), so be patient! If it’s a sunny day, it helps to pop them outside to air dry too.
- Tip the chickpeas into a large bowl, then stir through the oil and salt, ensuring you coat them evenly. Turn onto a lined baking tray, then place in the oven for around 25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so. You’re aiming for golden, crispy chickpeas
- Remove the cooked chickpeas from the oven, then stir through your choice of spices. Turn into a bowl and serve.