Since I’ve pretty much become a chocolate-based website (just look at my last few posts!), I thought I may as well continue the theme…
Can you tell I’m a chocoholic?
Anyway, if Christmas isn’t the time to eat endless chocolatey foods, then when is?! Although, this recipe is a little twist on the traditional chocolate drinks in that it is creamy and white…
These vegan-friendly White Hot Chocolates are incredibly cosy and satisfying. They’re creamy, dreamy – and completely dairy-free!
Made of rich, full-fat coconut milk and cacao butter for that chocolatey taste, these warming drinks are perfect if you’re a little bit tired of classic hot chocolate, or want to shake things up a little.
They’re still like a rich hug-in-a-mug, but in a slightly less conventional form!
Just to make things even more exciting, I also made them in three different ways (i.e different colours!) by adding beetroot juice and blue spirulina. But this is just for vanity only – Instagram, I blame you! – and you can keep things simple and delicious by throwing in no colourings at all.
I then topped them with cute, decorated snowman marshmallows (I used cake decorating pens for the noses and chocolate for the eyes and mouth!), although you can add on whatever you feel like – coconut cream, aquafaba whip, or perhaps just some chocolate shavings!
Anyway, if you want to try something different to drink this Christmas, then this is your recipe! Simple, delicious, yet ultra satisfying, I promise it will leave you with a big smile on your face. Just like those snowmen mallows!
Creamy White Hot Chocolate, Three Ways
- Serves 2
- 400g can coconut milk (I used Coconut Merchant) OR 2 cups dairy-free milk of choice
- 1/3 cup oat milk
- 1/4-1/3 cup cacao butter buttons (I make mine to taste)
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup (to taste)
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Pinch salt
- Optional: to make things even creamier, add in a handful of soaked cashew nuts
- To colour: 1-2 tbsp beetroot juice (pink), 1/4 tsp blue spirulina (blue) – both optional
- To top: vegan marshmallows, whipped coconut cream, chocolate shavings (optional)
- Gently heat the coconut and oat milk in a saucepan on a medium heat until just boiling, or at your favourite drinking heat.
- Add to a blender with the remaining ingredients, then blitz smooth until creamy, sweetening to taste. Add colourings, if using, then pour into mugs and top with your chosen toppings. Serve immediately and drink warm!