I don’t know about you, but now that the mornings are cold and frosty, it can be tricky for me to make sure I’m getting plenty of protein in my breakfasts.
When the temperature drops, I don’t want a green protein smoothie (it can’t just be me?!) – all I want is a cosy, warming bowl of porridge in front of me.
This Creamy Vanilla & Cinnamon Quinoa Porridge is a delicious alternative to traditional oatmeal or oats.
It has the same cosiness to it, and is every bit as warming and comforting, but it’s also high in plant-based proteins – quinoa is one of the few vegan-friendly sources of protein that is a complete protein (in other words, it contains all essential amino acids!).
For this reason, it makes a great breakfast during the cooler days! Plus, I guarantee that it will keep you going for hours on end.
Creamy Vanilla & Cinnamon Quinoa Porridge
- Makes two servings –
- 1/2 cup quinoa (I used a mix of white, black and red)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Up to 2 cups milk of choice (The amount of milk you use can depend on the quinoa you use, and your desired texture. In terms of choice, I prefer coconut or cashew as they result in a creamier porridge!)
- 1/2 cup water
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional (but recommended!) add-ins: 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1-3 tsp liquid sweetener of choice
Firstly, gently rinse your quinoa, pat dry and then toast in a pan for a few minutes (this helps get rid of the slight bitter taste). Place the quinoa into a small saucepan with one cup of milk, the water and the cinnamon stick. Whisk until combined.
- Over a low to medium heat, cook the quinoa until it comes to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer, with the saucepan lid on. Cook, stirring often, until most of the liquid has absorbed and the quinoa is soft (20 minutes), adding more milk or more water as needed as you cook, if the mixture is too dry.
- When cooked, allow to stand for a few minutes before stirring in vanilla and remaining flavours. Add a splash more milk, if desired, then stir and top with your favourite toppings!