What is it like where you are in the world right now?
Here in the UK, everything feels so surreal and the energy in the air is like something I’ve never experienced before. There is a mix of emotions – heightened anxiety and panic, fear, but also a beautiful sense of community and love.
We’ve had an emotional few days this week for various reasons, but I know that we are all in this together, and I just hope that this Coronavirus makes us re-evaluate and see what is important in our lives.
Anyway, for those of you who are living on store cupboard ingredients or are in self-isolation, then I have a few, simple recipes coming your way.
This Chunky Store Cupboard Bean & Tomato Soup was made using what we have left lying around and is a great, nourishing meal that most of us should be able to throw together!
Beans are a great form of plant protein and fibre and are an essential in my pantry right now. Meanwhile, root veggies tend, like I used in this recipe, tend to have a longer shelf life, so will keep in cupboards for a while.
Of course, as always – and now more than ever! – feel free to shake this recipe up, according to whatever you have in stock.
Wherever you are, know that I’m thinking of you. I hope you and your family stays safe,
Love and light,
Chunky Store Cupboard Bean & Tomato Soup
- Serves 4
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, peeled and finely chopped
- 1.5 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400ml (one empty tin of chopped tomatoes) vegetable stock (or more, depending on texture desired)
- 1 x 400g tin cooked, flavourless mixed beans (mine had cannelini, black beans and butter beans)
- 1 small tin sweetcorn, drained
- Handful kale or one block frozen spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To serve – fresh basil and parsley
Heat some oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and fry for a few minutes, then add in the garlic and cook, stirring often.
- Add in the carrot and celery and cook for a few minutes. Add in the tomato puree and spices and cook, stirring frequently, until the carrot is beginning to soften.
- Tip in the tomatoes, then fill up the empty tin with vegetable stock. Heat on a medium heat for ten minutes, or until starting to thicken. Add in the beans, sweetcorn and kale, then cook until warmed through. Season to taste and serve with fresh herbs and a squeeze of lemon juice.