Until very recently, I didn’t own a waffle maker. Had never even made homemade waffles, in fact.
Yet, call it the Instagram effect, but I saw so many pictures of beautiful, crisp and fluffy waffles that I had to order one, pronto. And then…well…it quickly became my new addiction.
From savoury sweet potato waffles (would you like a recipe?) to fluffy coconut waffles, and now gluten-free, vegan chocolate waffles, I just cannot stop eating waffles. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is waffle-mania!
When Seasonal Berries challenged me to create a brunch recipe using beautiful, juicy cherries, I knew exactly what to make: Chocolate Waffles with a deliciously sweet cherry sauce and whipped coconut cream. It is the brunch of dreams.
When Amir and I first got together, we’d pass our Saturdays in our favourite local deli, eating late breakfasts, smashed avocado on sourdough, or doorstep sandwiches. We lived for brunch, and I always think of that meal (my favourite meal!) with a smile.
Of course, while I love brunches, I rarely get to enjoy them anymore with three small boys! In fact, it is usually me chasing around after them, feeding them up (boys are endlessly hungry!) and making them snacks.
However, I am going to try to treat myself to brunch more often on the weekends. And, I suppose, this is the perfect way to do it! Doesn’t it look a treat…?
The waffles themselves are gluten-free and vegan, too, and are light and filling at the same time. Created using a combination of rice flour, oats and anti-oxidant rich cacao, they are utterly delicious – and even more so when combined with the cream and cherries!
Although I used cherries in this recipe – chocolate and cherries. What a classic and delicious combo! – you could mix up the fruit for whatever is in season. I would imagine strawberry sauce or raspberry sauce would taste equally divine!
And, let’s face it, coconut cream is so delicious that it works with everything…
What are your favourite brunch recipes? Do you have any brunch or breakfast requests?!
Chocolate Pancakes With Cherry Sauce & Coconut Cream
- Serves 2 (creates 4 waffles)
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup Lucy Bee cacao
- 1/2 cup rice flour (white or brown)
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup apple puree (or one small banana)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp espresso coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Pinch salt
- For the cherry sauce –
- One cup pitted cherries, chopped (roughly 20 cherries)
- 2.5 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp arrowroot
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- For the whipped coconut cream
- 1 tin full-fat coconut milk, chilled overnight
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- To serve: maple syrup (optional)
- Start by gently heating the cherries with the water. Once the fruit starts to break down, add the remaining ingredients (apart from the chia seeds) and contiue to heat, stirring often, until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir through chia seeds, adjusting sweetness if desired. Set aside.
- For the waffles, place all of the ingredients, into a blender and blitz to a smooth batter, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Spoon the batter into a heated waffle maker until cooked through.
- In the meantime, make your coconut cream by scooping the solid part of the chilled coconut milk from the tin. Beat the solid cream with the maple syrup and vanilla using an electric whisk – you want light and fluffy!
- Serve your waffles hot with spoonfuls of sauce and coconut cream, as well as an extra drizzle of maple syrup, if desired. Eat immediately and enjoy.