Sometimes, foods are just made to go together, aren’t they?
Fries and guacamole, apple and blackberry, coconut and curry, strawberry and chocolate…
On their own, each is delicious. Yet, when put together, they are completely transformed and become out-of-this-world delicious.
This Chocolate & Strawberry Galette With Crushed Pistachios brings those classic flavours of chocolate and strawberry into a delicious, bubbling, juicy homemade sort of pie.
I love making galettes because they are that bit easier than pies, and you have license to make them a little more rustic! In other words, you can be a bit lazier, yet it still tastes incredible…
This galette is made using a simple, vegan coconut oil pastry (it is another of my collaborations with my favourites over at Vita Coco) and is sweetened using only unrefined coconut sugar.
The filling of strawberries, pistachios, almonds and chocolates is utterly mouth-watering. In fact, if you are anything like me, you’ll almost burn yourself as you’ll be so eager to eat it straight from the oven!
Chocolate Strawberry Galette
- Creates one medium galette (about 20cm in diameter)
- 1 cup spelt flour (or buckwheat for gluten-free)
- 3 tbsp cacao
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 4 tbsp Vita Coco coconut oil – solid
- 2-4 tbsp ice water
- 1 tbsp Vita Coco coconut milk
- For the filling –
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 2 tbsp crushed pistachios
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp arrowroot
- 250g strawberries, hulled and chopped
- To top –
- 4 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp crushed pistachios
Preheat the oven to 200C, then line a large baking tray. Start by making your pastry. Using a fork (or a pastry knife), mix together the flour, cacao, coconut sugar and coconut oil until it resembles sand in texture. Use a wooden spoon to stir in the ice water, one tablespoon at a time, until it forms a dough-like consistency. Use your hands to bring it together if necessary, but be quick – you don’t want to warm the mixture!
Sprinkle some flour onto a clean surface, then roll the dough out between two sheets of baking paper into a circle so that it is around 20cm in diameter.
Stir together the almonds, crushed pistachios, coconut sugar and arrowroot. Sprinkle over the centre of the pastry, leaving a border an inch or so wide around the edges. Scatter over the strawberries, then sprinkle over a touch more sugar.
- Fold the dough up and over the filling, leaving the centre uncovered, making sure you seal in any cracks.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the coconut milk over the pastry edges, then place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes.
- Scatter over the dark chocolate chips, then place back in the oven for a further 5-15 minutes, or until the pastry is golden, the chocolate melted and the filling bubbling.
- Scatter over the remaining pistachios and serve warm with ice cream or coconut cream.